Uncovering the Unreasonable: Dynamics and Batman's Tractor Trailer Scene

In summary, the scene where the tractor trailer flips over the long way is unreasonable because the truck needed to be going faster to create a moment.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that the Batman scene where the tractor trailer flips over the long way is completely unreasonable.

I would like to use, as a very simple model of the problem, Principle of Impulse and Momentum.

So please help me out. I have a truck traveling at some constant velocity. It drives straight into a "trip wire" tied across the road to two lamp posts. Now, assuming that the lamp posts and the wire and the truck do not fail and fall to pieces, I would like to find out how fast the truck would have needed to have been going in order to create a moment about the wire.

Could I have a little assistance in setting this problem up?

I know that the trucks momentum could be said to act at the Center of mass. Is the point on the truck where the wire strikes a "force" ? And how so I find its magnitude (dude)?

The scene is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81LeooTiKI0" for those who have not seen it. It's at 0:45 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas? It's the "is there a force where the wire strikes?" part that is really getting me...

Saladsamurai said:
Any ideas? It's the "is there a force where the wire strikes?" part that is really getting me...

There is certainly a force where the truck strikes the wire. I think this may be part the unknown that you are trying to find.

I would think that a good starting point would be to consider the energy of the truck and the distance over which the wire acts on it. Also, assuming the wire is below the center of mass of the truck, you should have created a moment to induce rotation.

To get the numbers to work out, you will likely have to find the moment of inertia of the truck about the appropriate axis.

Hope this helps, let me know if you come up with a good problem.:cool:

1. What is the significance of the tractor trailer scene in Batman?

The tractor trailer scene in Batman is significant because it highlights the dynamics between Batman and his enemies, particularly the Joker. It also showcases Batman's quick thinking and resourcefulness in high-pressure situations.

2. How does the tractor trailer scene contribute to the overall theme of the movie?

The tractor trailer scene reinforces the theme of chaos and order in the movie. Batman, as a symbol of order and justice, must navigate through the Joker's chaotic plans and ultimately bring him to justice.

3. What are the psychological implications of the tractor trailer scene?

The tractor trailer scene reveals the psychological battle between Batman and the Joker. It shows the Joker's desire to break Batman's moral code and push him to his limits, while Batman must maintain his composure and not give in to the chaos.

4. How does the tractor trailer scene showcase Batman's character development?

The tractor trailer scene is a pivotal moment in Batman's character development. It demonstrates his growth from a vigilante driven by revenge to a selfless hero who is willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good.

5. Is the tractor trailer scene realistic?

While the tractor trailer scene may seem far-fetched, it is not completely unrealistic. Batman is a highly skilled and trained individual, and the scene showcases his abilities in a heightened and intense situation. However, it is important to remember that it is a movie and should not be taken as a realistic portrayal of what a person can do in real life.