Finding Optimal Angles for Projectile Motion Using Kinematics and 2D Vectors

In summary, the problem involves determining two angles of elevation that will allow a projectile with an initial velocity of 400 m/s to hit a target at coordinates (5 km, 1.5 km). This can be solved by using kinematic equations and setting up a quadratic equation for the tangent of the angles. The solutions are 80.6 degrees and 26.1 degrees.
whtan20
This problems has given me a lot of difficulty even asking several people. Kinematics of Particles using 2D vectors.

v(initial) = 400 m/s. Determine two angles of elevation (theta) which will permit the projectile to hit the mountain target at B = (5 km)i+(1.5 km)j.

wont directly let me host url because I'm new sorry. pm if picture needed thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi whtan20! Welcome to PF! :smile:

With difficult questions, go one step at a time …

First step: what equations do you know that might help here? :smile:

I know that
vx0=400cos(theta)
vy0=400sin(theta)

and integrating..v=dx/dt

x = 400tcos(theta)
y = 400tsin(theta)

and from here I'm clueless as where to go. Thanks.

x = v0*cos(θ)*t, so t = x/(v0*cos(θ))
y = v0*sin(θ)*t - 1/2 g*t^2,
y = x*tan(θ) - 1/2 g*x^2/(v0*cos(θ))^2
use 1/(cos(θ))^2 = (sec(θ))^2 = 1 + (tan(θ))^2
y = x*tan(θ) - 1/2 g*x^2/v0^2 - 1/2 g*x^2*(tan(θ))^2/v0^2
then we get a quadratic equation for tan(θ) that is, (after plug all known values)
765.63(tan(θ))^2 - 5000tan(θ) + 2265.63 = 0
use quadratic formula and get
tan(θ) = 6.0407, so θ = 80.6 degrees
tan(θ) = 0.48987, so θ = 26.1 degrees

Thanks a lot Simon, i did basically exactly that, but didn't know how to turn it into a quadratic, too many terms all over the place.

What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that cause them to move. It involves understanding how objects move and change their position over time.

What is the angle of a projectile?

The angle of a projectile is the direction at which it is launched or thrown. It is measured relative to the horizontal and affects the trajectory and distance of the projectile.

How does the angle of a projectile affect its trajectory?

The angle of a projectile directly affects its trajectory by determining the initial velocity and direction of the projectile. A higher angle will result in a shorter distance traveled but a higher maximum height, while a lower angle will result in a longer distance traveled but a lower maximum height.

What is the optimal angle for a projectile to achieve maximum distance?

The optimal angle for a projectile to achieve maximum distance is 45 degrees. This is because at 45 degrees, the initial horizontal and vertical velocities are equal, resulting in the longest possible distance traveled before the projectile hits the ground.

How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. This is more noticeable at higher angles and velocities. The greater the air resistance, the shorter the distance traveled by the projectile.