1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics, angular acceleration

1. Apr 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block D of the mechanism is confined to move within the slot of member CB . Link AD is rotating at a constant rate of ωAD = 4 rad/s measured counterclockwise. Suppose that a = 350 mm , b = 200 mm.

Find wCB and αCD

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I hope its ok that I just scanned my work and uploaded it, I thought it would be easier to read from my paper than trying to organize it on here. I know my angular velocity is correct, but I can't seem to find the angular acceleration for CD :(

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3
    First generate the x and y position equation of the slider itself (so far, simple). The first integral with respect to time will give instantaneous velocity, the second integral will give instantaneous acceleration of the slider pin (which is always equidistant to the sides of the slot). These integrals should be available on the web or in a good mechanical technician's handbook if you don't feel like doing the integration. Knowing those instantaneous values for the 60 degree position shown you can calculate the instantaneous angular velocity and angular acceleration of the slotted arm (translate the x and y values to values perpendicular to the slotted arm).

Hope that helps.

5. Apr 8, 2016 #4
    Why would I use an integral on this problem? I don't have any functions to integrate?

6. Apr 8, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean, you haven't developed them yet.

7. Apr 8, 2016 #6
    Ohhh... I don't think I was taught that technique. I might loose points on the exam if I don't do it the way I was taught.

8. Apr 9, 2016 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OldYat47 got confused. Where he says "integral", he means "derivative" to find velocity or acceleration.

9. Apr 9, 2016 #8
    Yes, I reversed the terms. I'm fighting a bad flu and am not thinking too clearly. The approach I presented is a simple way to find the solution. If you are being taught a particular method you are correct, you'd better stick with that. I'm just not up to working through the math.

10. Apr 9, 2016 #9
    Yeah, these problems are tedious. I would definitely not feel like working one if I was sick, I hope you get better soon!

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I mess up on finding the acceleration at least 90% of the time. I feel like I'm following the procedure exactly. Am I just making some dumb algebra mistake? Or maybe not assigning the correct direction to some position vectors or something?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted