What is the collision question for this dynamics problem?

In summary, we can use the equation for coefficient of restitution to find the final velocity of object A after colliding with object B. We can then use the conservation of momentum equation to solve for the final velocity of object A.
Chantry09

Homework Statement

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9476/phyus3mu7.jpg​
[/URL]

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
Conservation of kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea. I don't know the velocity of A before the collision and i don't know the speed of A after the collision. So i can't use the conservation of momentum. I also know its not an elastic collision because I am told "the restitution is e=0.5". Should i have been told some kind of equation to allow me to work this out or am i missing something?

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spadez said:

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
Conservation of kinetic energy

Both. In short, (don't feel like using latex), if co-eff of restitution is e=1/2, then,

relative velo after collision = vb - va_f = (1/2)va_i = relative velo before collision.

Using consvn of mom, ma*va_i = ma*va_2 + mb*vb.

All velos are +ve to the RHS. Solve for va_f. The masses and vb are given.

Last edited:
Hi shooting star, i really appreciate the help but I am still a little stuck, would you mind answering a few more questions for me?

ma*va_i = ma*va_2 + mb*vb

Is this correct:
ma = Mass A = 1kg
va_i = Velocity of A initially = Unknown
va_2 = Final velocity of A? = Unknown
mb = Mass of B = 10kg
vb = Final Velocity of B? = 0.876m/s

--------------------------------------------------------------------

relative velo after collision = vb - va_f = -(1/2)va_i = -relative velo before collision

Im also a little confused by this equation. Does that mean that in effect relative velo after collision is equal to -relative velo before collision?

Or was it meant to read like this:
relative velo after collision = vb - va_f
-(1/2)va_i = -relative velo before collision

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, am i meant to rearrange this equation
vb - va_f = -(1/2)va_i
to make vb the subject and then factor it into the conservation of momentum equation you gave me? I only ask because i still have two unknowns at this point, va_i and va_f.

Again thank you for the help, sorry i have to ask more questions.

The coefficient of restitution between to objects (1 and 2) is given by
[tex]C_r = \frac{V_{2f}-V_{1f}}{V_{1i}-V_{2i}}[/tex]

If A is object 1 and B is object 2, then this simplifies to:
[tex].5 = \frac{V_{Bf}-V_{Af}}{V_{Ai}}[/tex]
Since the initial velocity of B is zero.

And then you have
[tex]M_{A}V_{Ai} = M_{A}V_{Af}+M_{B}V_{Bf}[/tex]
I think Shooting Star may have meant solve for [tex]V_{Af}[/tex]. Looks like you can do it with those two equations.

Spadez said:
Is this correct:
ma = Mass A = 1kg
va_i = Velocity of A initially = Unknown
va_2 = Final velocity of A? = Unknown
mb = Mass of B = 10kg
vb = Final Velocity of B? = 0.876m/s
QUOTE]

All correct. Sorry I made a few typos in my last post. I have edited those. Pl go through it now once more. Two simple eqns and two unknowns -- piece of cake.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the help. For some reason or another i wasnt given these equations. Ill give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes.

That worked :D

1. What is a collision in physics?

A collision in physics refers to the event where two or more objects come into contact with each other, resulting in a change in their motion or velocity. It can be classified as either elastic or inelastic, depending on whether or not kinetic energy is conserved during the collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

Momentum is conserved in a collision according to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in the collision remains the same, even if the individual momentums change.

3. What factors influence the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision can be influenced by factors such as the mass, velocity, and direction of the objects involved, as well as the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). The presence of external forces, such as friction, can also affect the outcome of a collision.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of an object after a collision?

The velocity of an object after a collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1 and v2 are their velocities before the collision, and v1' and v2' are their velocities after the collision.

5. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those where kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In inelastic collisions, some kinetic energy is lost due to factors such as deformation or heat, resulting in a decrease in the total kinetic energy after the collision.