1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Course question

1. Mar 28, 2006 #1
    Im trying to figure out in this question what to do and how to put the formula together.

"A particle travels in a straight line such that for a short time
    2s < t < 6s its motion is described by v=(4/a) ft/s, where a is in ft/s^2. If v=6ft/s when t=2s, determine the particle's acceleration when t=3s."

I figured to use a= dv/dt formula but not sure.

If anyone can help...:yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, dv/dt will give you the acceleration. But I`m a bit confused about the question. What is the 'a' in your velocity equation? It has the units of acceleration, but it's at the bottom, so whatever the physical quantity the 4 is must have dimension ft^2/s^3. Did you copy the problem correctly?

As its stands, it looks like the velocity does not even depend on time...

4. Mar 28, 2006 #3
    Im confused aswell about that. I got that equation from the examples in the text.

examples says: "knowing v=f(t) the acceleration is determined from a=dv/dt, since equation relates a,v and t."

When I use this dv/dt formula, which numbers do I divide exactly?

5. Mar 28, 2006 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, the acceleration a is the rate of change (i.e. the time derivative) of the velocity. The derivative dv/dt is not simply a ratio between two numbers.

By the way, this really does not belong in the advanced physics threads.

6. Mar 28, 2006 #5
    Not sure where it belonged.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?