Dynamics and Forces: Solving for Safety Line Tightness and Friction Force

In summary, the first question is asking how long it takes for the safety line to become tight when an astronaut pushes against a spacecraft and moves away at a constant velocity. Using the conservation of momentum, the time is found to be 2.56s. However, the multiple choice answers suggest using the sum of the velocities, resulting in a time of 2.34s. The second question involves finding the force of friction acting on a 3.0kg object being pulled with a force of 2.0N and accelerating at a rate of 1.2m/s^2. Using the equation Fnet = Fapp - Ff, the force of friction is found to be 0.41786N.
Omelette

Homework Statement

Q1) After a 1.30 x 10^2kg astronaut (incl. equipment) connects a safety line (length = 22.0m) to herself and to the spacecraft (mass = 2.80 x 10^3kg), she pushes against the craft and moves away at a constant velocity of 9.0m/s. How long does it take the safety line to become tight?

Q2) A 3.0kg object is pulled along a horizontal surface as shown in the diagram below by a horizontal force of 2.0N. If the object is accelerating at a rate of 1.2m/s^2, what is the force of friction acting on the object? (Diagram below).

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
d = Vot + .5at^2
a = (Vf - Vo)/2
d = (Vf + Vo)/2 * t
Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad
Ff = μFn

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1) I thought to set d = 22, Vo = 0, Vf = 9, and solve for t using the 4th equation, but that answer isn't one of the choices. I think maybe the masses of the objects need to be used, but I don't know how they may help.

Q2) I used F = ma, and so Fnet = (3)(1.2) = 5.2 N (which is also on the diagram). I thought about Fnet = Fapp - Ff, and tried to solve for Ff by subtracting Fnet from Fapp, but that isn't one of the choices as well.

I don't really know where to start with these questions.
Help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• phys.png
    phys.png
    633 bytes · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
Initially astronaut are at rest with respect to each other. After the push astronaut moves with the velocity va. Using the conservation of momentum, find the velocity of the spacecraft vs. Both are moving in the opposite. The relative velocity between them is (va+vs). So time to move a distance d is t = d/(va+vs)

Using the conservation of momentum, I found the velocity of the spaceship to be v = p/m --> v = -1170/2800 = -0.41786m/s. Then I solved for t by doing t = d/(va + vs) = 22/(9 - 0.41786) = 2.56s, but the multiple choice answers are either 0.418s, 2.34s, 0.900s, or 2.44s.

Does anyone know how I should go about solving Q2?

Thanks again for your help!

22/(9 - 0.41786)
It should be 22/(9 + 0.41786) because when the two particles are moving in the opposite direction, their relative velocity is the sum of their velocities.

Ohh, I see that now. Thank you! I found the answer to be 2.34s.

1. What is the difference between dynamics and forces?

Dynamics refers to the study of motion and the causes of motion, while forces are the agents that cause objects to move or change their motion.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you must add together all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

4. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are forces that are equal in size and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero and no change in an object's motion. Unbalanced forces are forces that are not equal in size and result in a net force that causes a change in an object's motion.

5. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can either slow down or prevent motion altogether. The amount of friction depends on the types of surfaces involved and the amount of force pushing them together.