How Can I Solve This Dynamics Problem Involving Friction and Inclined Planes?

• Thread starter JakePearson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the person is struggling with a dynamics problem involving an object moving along a horizontal surface and reaching the foot of an inclined plane with a given speed and coefficient of friction. They are seeking help in understanding how to calculate the distance at which the object will come to rest on the plane. The conversation includes a question and hint to guide them in solving the problem using either straight dynamics or conservation of energy.
JakePearson
hey guys, I'm in the middle for revising for a dynamics paper in January. I'm in the middle of a 1st year BSc Physics degree. Looking through some past papers, there are questions that i can do, and there are questions that i am unable to do. These are usually question where you have to derive. I am going to write down one of the questions that are causing me problems and i was wondering if you could help me on how to answer it.

Q. An object moving along a horizontal surface reaches the foot of a plane inclined at an angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] to the horizontal with a speed u. If the coefficient of friction between the object and the plane is [tex]\mu[/tex] show that the object will come to rest a distance d up the plane where
d = u2 / 2g (sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]) + [tex]\mu[/tex]cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]​

I am a diagnosed dyslexic, not using it as an excuse, i will always try my best, but this is not sinking in, can you please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have to calculate the net retardation.

If you have the mass of the body and it's initial velocity, you can calculate it's rate of retardation (which will be a function of the friction and gravity) and finally the time/distance at which v = 0.

Now...you got to manipulate the equation that comes to the proof.

i can appreciate you comment. But this is what i mean. This isn't sinking in. My lectures speak to me like this. Could you work through it with me. Cheers

Imagine I give you a similar problem but without an incline...just one dimensional linear motion. So in this problem you have an initial velocity u and a constant deceleration -a...derive an equation for me predicting the stopping distance in terms of just those two variables. Your problem uses the same basic derivation, but now you need to figure out what -a is in your problem.

JakePearson said:
Q. An object moving along a horizontal surface reaches the foot of a plane inclined at an angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] to the horizontal with a speed u. If the coefficient of friction between the object and the plane is [tex]\mu[/tex] show that the object will come to rest a distance d up the plane where
d = u2 / 2g (sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]) + [tex]\mu[/tex]cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]​
Be careful with parentheses. The answer should be:
d = u2/2g(sinθ + μcosθ)

There are two ways to approach this problem:
(1) Using straight dynamics. Hint: What forces act on the object? What's is its acceleration as it goes up the ramp? Use kinematics.
(2) Using conservation of energy. Hint: How much energy is 'lost' due to friction?

Pick one of those approaches and give it a shot. Show your work and you'll get plenty of help.

1. What is dynamics in science?

Dynamics in science refers to the study of the forces and motions of objects. It involves understanding how objects move and change over time, and the causes behind these changes.

2. What are the different types of dynamics?

There are three main types of dynamics: kinematics, kinetics, and statics. Kinematics deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. Kinetics involves studying the forces that cause motion. Statics focuses on objects that are at rest or in equilibrium.

3. How is dynamics different from kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of dynamics that focuses on the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. Dynamics, on the other hand, is a broader field that includes the study of both motion and forces.

4. What are some real-life applications of dynamics?

Dynamics has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is used to understand and design structures, vehicles, and machines. It also plays a crucial role in analyzing human movement and sports performance.

5. How can I improve my understanding of dynamics?

To improve your understanding of dynamics, it is important to have a strong grasp of mathematical concepts, as equations and calculations are a significant part of this field. It also helps to practice problem-solving and to apply the principles of dynamics to real-world situations.