Solve Position at t=3s for Motion Homework: Dynamics Help

In summary, an engineer models a system for controlling a router's acceleration during a machining process using the equation a = -0.4v, where v is the velocity of the router. The position and velocity of the router are given at t=0. Using this information, the engineer integrates the equation and solves for the constant C. Substituting t=3 into the resulting equation gives the position of the router at t=3 seconds.
vdfortd

Homework Statement

An engineer designing a system to control router for a machining process models the system so that the router's acceleration (in in/s2) during an interval of time is given by a= -0.4v, where v is the velocity of the router in in/s2. When t=0, the position is s=0 and the velocity is v= 2 in/s. What is the position at t=3 seconds?

Homework Equations

a= dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

This section has to do with straight line motion when the acceleration depends on velocity or position.

This is what I tried to do:

a= -0.4v
a= dv/dt

dv/dt = -0.4v

dv/v= -0.4 dt

I integrated both sides and I got:

ln v = -.4t + C ( C = constant)

From my differential equations math class, we did problems like these and we got rid of the ln by making it all a power of e.

eln v = e -.4t + C

you get v= e-.4t+C or v= e-.4tC

Now I know this is wrong because we know that when t=0 v=2. Am I on the right track or did i do this completely wrong? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
vdfortd: Nice work. You are doing well, so far. You said, "Now I know this is wrong." That is not true. Go ahead and substitute t = 0 and v = 2 into your last equation, and see what you get. Solve for C. Now continue solving the problem.

You are on the right track, but there are a few errors in your approach. Let's start with the differential equations:

a = dv/dt

We can rewrite this as:

dv = a dt

Now, we can integrate both sides to get:

∫dv = ∫a dt

v = at + C

Now, we need to solve for the constant C. We can use the initial conditions given in the problem to do this. When t=0, v=2, so we can substitute these values into our equation:

2 = a(0) + C

C = 2

Now, we have our final equation for velocity:

v = at + 2

Next, we can use this equation to solve for position. From the homework statement, we know that position is defined as the integral of velocity with respect to time:

s = ∫v dt

Substituting our equation for velocity, we get:

s = ∫(at + 2) dt

s = (1/2)at^2 + 2t + C

Again, we can use the initial conditions to solve for the constant C. When t=0, s=0, so we have:

0 = (1/2)a(0)^2 + 2(0) + C

C = 0

Now, we have our final equation for position:

s = (1/2)at^2 + 2t

To find the position at t=3 seconds, we can simply substitute t=3 into our equation:

s = (1/2)a(3)^2 + 2(3)

s = (1/2)(-0.4)(3)^2 + 2(3)

s = -2.7 inches

Therefore, the position at t=3 seconds is -2.7 inches.

Your approach is correct so far. However, you have made a small mistake when integrating. The correct solution should be v = Ce^(-0.4t), where C is the constant of integration.

To solve for the constant C, we can use the initial conditions given in the problem. When t=0, v=2, so we can substitute these values into the equation:

2 = Ce^(-0.4(0))

2 = C

Therefore, the equation for velocity becomes v = 2e^(-0.4t).

To solve for position, we can integrate the velocity equation:

s = ∫v dt = ∫2e^(-0.4t) dt = -5e^(-0.4t) + D

Again, we can use the initial condition s=0 at t=0 to solve for the constant D:

0 = -5e^(-0.4(0)) + D

0 = -5 + D

D = 5

Therefore, the final equation for position is s = -5e^(-0.4t) + 5.

To find the position at t=3 seconds, we can simply plug in t=3 into the equation:

s(3) = -5e^(-0.4(3)) + 5 = 0.196 inches.

So, the position at t=3 seconds is 0.196 inches.

1. What is the equation for solving position at t=3s for motion in dynamics?

The equation for solving position at t=3s for motion in dynamics is x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What is the significance of solving position at t=3s in dynamics?

Solving position at t=3s in dynamics allows us to determine the exact location of an object at a specific point in time. This information is crucial in understanding the motion of an object and can help us analyze its acceleration and velocity.

3. Can the position at t=3s be negative?

Yes, the position at t=3s can be negative. This indicates that the object has moved in the negative direction, which is opposite to the positive direction defined as the initial position.

4. How does acceleration affect the position at t=3s?

The acceleration of an object affects its position at t=3s by influencing its velocity. If the acceleration is positive, the object will be moving in the positive direction and its position at t=3s will be greater than its initial position. Similarly, if the acceleration is negative, the object will be moving in the negative direction and its position at t=3s will be less than its initial position.

5. Can we solve for position at t=3s without knowing the initial position and velocity?

No, we cannot solve for position at t=3s without knowing the initial position and velocity. These values are crucial in the equation for solving position at t=3s and without them, we cannot accurately determine the position of the object at that specific time.