1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics help - Motion

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An engineer designing a system to control router for a machining process models the system so that the router's acceleration (in in/s2) during an interval of time is given by a= -0.4v, where v is the velocity of the router in in/s2. When t=0, the position is s=0 and the velocity is v= 2 in/s. What is the position at t=3 seconds?

2. Relevant equations

a= dv/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

This section has to do with straight line motion when the acceleration depends on velocity or position.

This is what I tried to do:

a= -0.4v
    a= dv/dt

dv/dt = -0.4v

dv/v= -0.4 dt

I integrated both sides and I got:

ln v = -.4t + C ( C = constant)

From my differential equations math class, we did problems like these and we got rid of the ln by making it all a power of e.

eln v = e -.4t + C

you get v= e-.4t+C or v= e-.4tC

Now I know this is wrong because we know that when t=0 v=2. Am I on the right track or did i do this completely wrong? Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

vdfortd: Nice work. You are doing well, so far. You said, "Now I know this is wrong." That is not true. Go ahead and substitute t = 0 and v = 2 into your last equation, and see what you get. Solve for C. Now continue solving the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?