Dynamics Help. My exam is on Monday

In summary, the Dynamic's Unit Exam is on Monday and the Dynamic needs help. The Dynamic wrote his Kinematics exam using classroom materials and is confused about what materials to use to measure force, power, pressure, etc. The Dynamic is from the United States.
jessica4002
Dynamics Help. My exam is on Monday!

My Dynamic's Unit Exam is on Monday and I need help! Last week I had my Kinematic's Unit Exam and my written was something like:

How do you find the acceleration of a runner running the 100m sprint? Draw a sketch, list all the formulas you're going to use, do a sample calculation (make up some reasonable numbers), and a brief discussion of where some errors could occur.

My teacher said my Dynamic's written will be exactly the same thing, but I need help because how do I measure the force, power, kinetic energy, etc, using "classroom" type materials? We never did any labs.

Please help, I'll really appreciate it. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
How is acceleration defined? Do you think the runner will have constant acceleration or will it change? What formulas do you know that have anything to do with acceleration?

Is the acceleration you are going to find the average acceleration or Instantaneous acceleration? The runner could be changing velocity during his 100m sprint. This would suggest changing acceleration. Change in Velocity with respect to time is acceleration: a= dv/dt.

If you want to find his acceleration at any particular point in time(say his acceleration at 50m when t=5 seconds) then it would be instantaneous acceleration. If you simply want to find the total of all such accelerations over the entire 100m, then that would be the average acceleration.

Acceleration is also the second derivative of 'x' with respect to 't' : a=d^2x/dt^2

Try playing with the formulas x=x0+v0t+1/2at^2 and v=v0+at. Both these formulas show a relationship between 'a','v' and 't'.

Well, my Kinematics written was easy, it gives you 100m, so I just made up 10 seconds, put it into v=d/t, then a=v/t and I'm done!

The written also asks for what materials I have to use, so meter stick, stopwatch, etc, that stuff.

I'm just confused with my Dynamics written. What materials do I put down if I want to measure force, pressure, etc?

Where are you from?

No one in this forum knows how to measure force, power, etc using "classroom" type materials?

For example: to measure time, I would use a stopwatch!

Please help.

F=ma.

A weight scale is one instrument along with the stop watch.

jessica4002 said:
What materials do I put down if I want to measure force,
A scale. Think of the punching bag and the sledgehammer strike in an entertainment park. Each has a scale that shoots up when hit. http://www.savage-ent.com/fun_fair/strikers.htm

pressure,
A barometer, maybe?

etc?
From physics glossary: "Power is the rate of working. Work is done on an object whenever it moves because it is pushed or pulled. Work increases the energy of the object. An increase in energy may heat up the object, speed it up, lift it up, or all of the above." COnclusion: depending on the type of energy, you may need a thermometer (heat), a meter (speed or lift) and a watch (time).

I hope this is (still) useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What topics should I focus on for my Dynamics exam?

For your Dynamics exam, it is important to focus on topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, energy and momentum, and rotational dynamics. Make sure to review your class notes, textbook, and practice problems to solidify your understanding of these concepts.

2. How should I prepare for my Dynamics exam?

To prepare for your Dynamics exam, make sure to start studying early and consistently. Practice solving problems and make sure to understand the underlying concepts. You can also form study groups with classmates to discuss and review material together.

3. Do you have any tips for solving dynamics problems?

Some tips for solving dynamics problems include drawing free-body diagrams, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and using equations and principles learned in class to solve for unknown quantities. It is also important to carefully label all variables and units in your calculations.

4. How can I improve my understanding of dynamics?

To improve your understanding of dynamics, try to relate the concepts to real-life examples and applications. You can also watch online tutorials or demonstrations, read articles or books on the subject, and actively participate in class discussions and activities.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a specific concept in dynamics?

If you are struggling with a specific concept in dynamics, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or classmates for help. You can also seek out additional resources such as tutoring or online videos to further clarify the concept. Practice solving problems related to that concept until you feel confident in your understanding.