1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics help

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    I don't know how to begin solving this problem so any suggestions on how to go about solving it would be greatly appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The rope connecting slider A and mass B passes over two small pulleys, one of which is attached to A. Mass B has a constant velocity v_0, directed downwards. At the instant when y_A = b, determine: (a) velocity of A, and (b) acceleration of A. The picture of the problem can be found here: http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2536/68824667.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

The equations that I think I need to use include the ones from rectilinear motion such as v = ds/dt, a = dv/dt.

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing that I know is that this is a first degree problem because there are two moving objects (A and B) and the rope is the constraint.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L = rope total length, yb = vo*t. Hint: ya = [0.25(L - vo*t)^2 - b^2]^0.5.

Now see if you can figure out how to compute va. After you obtain the equation for va, try the following hint. Hint: Arbitrarily let L = 2(2^0.5)*b, and let t = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook