How Do You Calculate the Frictional and Coupling Forces for a Skidding Truck?

In summary, the 2-Mg truck is traveling at 15 m/s when the brakes are applied, causing it to skid for a distance of 10 m before coming to rest. The constant horizontal force developed in the coupling (C) is 11.25 kN, while the frictional force developed between the tires of the truck and the road is -22.5 kN during this time.
winblowzxp
1.The 2-Mg truck is traveling at 15 m/s when the brakes
on all its wheels are applied, causing it to skid for a distance of
10 m before coming to rest. Determine the constant horizontal
force developed in the coupling C, and the frictional force
developed between the tires of the truck and the road during
this time. The total mass of the boat and trailer is 1 Mg.

v0 = 15 m/s
s = 10 m
Fk = µkN

2. I'm not exactly sure how/where to start. I also have no idea how to get the frictional force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that since I know v0 and vf as well as s0 and sf that I can get deceleration.

I'll use v2 = v02 + 2a(s-s0). If I solve for a, maybe that will help get the frictional force?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi winblowzxp! welcome to pf! :wink:
winblowzxp said:
I'll use v2 = v02 + 2a(s-s0). If I solve for a, maybe that will help get the frictional force?

yes, that will give you the deceleration …

then draw two free body diagrams, one for the truck and one for the trailer, and do F = ma for each …

what do you get? :smile:

I get:

FB = -11.25 kN
FT = -22.5 kN

I figure that to get the force in the coupling (C), that I need to subtract FB from FT which would give me FC = -11.25 kN

I know that fk = µN and that N in this case is -W. I'm not sure how to get the value for µ.
[PLAIN]http://www.fission-systems.com/images/physics/fma.png

Edit: I think I'll assume that it's on dry concrete and use µk = 0.8.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm really not following that :confused:

µ is irrelevant, the forces can be found from the masses and the acceleration

your F = ma equations don't seem to include the force in the coupling (between the truck and the trailer) :redface:

your F = ma equations don't seem to include the force in the coupling (between the truck and the trailer)

I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

the trailer has only one horizontal force on it, the truck has two :wink:

(i'm assuming that the trailer wheels are not skidding, and that their moment of inertia is sufficiently small that you can ignore the friction)

1. What is the difference between dynamics and kinetics?

Dynamics is the study of the motion of objects and the forces that affect them, while kinetics is the study of the forces that cause motion and how they are related to the resulting motion.

2. What are some examples of dynamics and kinetics in everyday life?

Dynamics can be seen in the movement of a car or person, while kinetics can be seen in actions such as throwing a ball or swinging a bat.

3. How are Newton's laws of motion related to dynamics and kinetics?

Newton's laws of motion describe the relationship between forces and motion, making them essential in the study of dynamics and kinetics.

4. What are the main principles of dynamics and kinetics?

The main principles of dynamics and kinetics include inertia, acceleration, and the relationship between force and mass.

5. How are dynamics and kinetics used in engineering and design?

Engineers and designers use dynamics and kinetics to understand how forces will affect the movement and stability of structures and machines, allowing them to create safe and efficient designs.