Moment of Inertia in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass moment of inertia about the y-axis for an object with a density of 4 slugs/ft3. This should be done in cylindrical coordinates by slicing the object into vertical cylindrical shells and setting up a single integral over r.
mathmannn

Homework Statement

What is the mass moment of inertia about the y-axis of the object shown if the density is 4 slugs/ft3?

Homework Equations

[itex] I_y = \int (x^2 + z^2) dm [/itex]
[itex] dm = \rho dV [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really too sure how to set this one up, my prof said it should be done in polar coordinates. I'm pretty sure that it will come out to be a triple integral but it's been a while since I've done those and could use a little help setting this up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 9.06.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 9.06.30 PM.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mathmannn! :smile:
mathmannn said:
… my prof said it should be done in polar coordinates. I'm pretty sure that it will come out to be a triple integral …

no, that's crazy :yuck:, it should obviously be cylindrical coordinates

slice the region into vertical cylindrical shells of thickness dr (finding the volume and moment of inertia of each shell is elementary), and then you only have a single integral, over r :wink:

What is the definition of dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that cause this motion.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion about a specific axis. It is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia plays a crucial role in understanding rotational motion and the conservation of angular momentum. It also helps in predicting an object's behavior and stability when subjected to external forces.

What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is used in various real-life applications, such as designing rotating machinery like engines and turbines, analyzing the motion of celestial bodies, and understanding the stability of structures like bridges and buildings.