What is the relationship between a rolling sphere and a smooth cloverleaf helix?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between the shape and slope of a smooth cloverleaf track and the initial speed and height of a frictionless sphere rolling past a given point. The shape of the track is dependent on the velocity and height of the sphere, and the banking angle of the track is determined by the local curvature and velocity of the sphere.
Loren Booda
Take a frictionless sphere rolling at speed v past a given point. What is the relationship between the shape and the slope of a smooth cloverleaf which guides the sphere to its original direction to rest a height h above the given point?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it's really frictionless, then any smooth curve that takes the sphere to a height
h such that hg= (1/2)v2 will work.

Loren Booda,

If I understand your question, its describing one quarter of a highway cloverleaf, so in addition to the height that HallsofIvy showed you how to find, you also need a shape and size for the leaf (as viewed from above) and the banking of the roadway on the leaf.

Hint: What shape seems reasonable for the leaf if the sphere is going to roll around and get back to a point right over where it started? Characterize this shape with some paramter, say, R (that's another hint!). Now try working from there to find whether the roadway needs to be banked, and if so, by how much?

If you get stuck, post again, and I'll give you another hint.

Don't forget, "to rest".

jdavel,

I'm much too old for this to be homework! When traveling on a cloverleaf last night I considered this problem which you all are progressively formulating. It may not have a simple answer. A spiral comes to mind for the shape, but what then would be the banking?

Wouldn't the shape only change how you get to the top and not how high that top would be?

cookiemonster

As I first mentioned, the shape and slope of the track are interdependent and it is that relationship which we seek in terms of v and h. We want to prevent the ball from sliding off of the track, so a nonzero slope is necessary.

We should be able to calculate the velocity as a function of height. If we know the velocity at every point, we just have to have a horizontal slope that will yield a satisfactory normal force to create the proper centripetal acceleration. No?

cookiemonster

Sort of. A frictionless sphere needs a banked track to stay on track. At first glance, the banking's vertical component is a function of centripetal acceleration, the sphere's velocity squared over the immediate track curvature.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Calculating the normal vector of a surface is a fairly simple matter, and calculating the necessary centripetal force isn't much harder.

cookiemonster

Loren Booda,

"A spiral comes to mind for the shape, but what then would be the banking?"

I misread your original question. I thought you had to end up at rest exactly over the point where you began. If not, any shape will do, with the banking angle determined by the local curvature and velocity.

(I should have said "helix" rather than spiral.)

1. What is a cloverleaf?

A cloverleaf is a type of highway interchange that consists of four curved ramps that resemble the leaves of a clover. It allows for traffic to flow in all directions without any conflicting turns.

2. How does a cloverleaf work?

A cloverleaf works by using four ramps that curve around each other to connect two perpendicular highways. This allows for vehicles to merge onto and off of the highways without having to make any sharp turns or cross paths with other vehicles.

3. What are the advantages of a cloverleaf interchange?

One advantage of a cloverleaf interchange is that it can handle a large volume of traffic without causing congestion. It also allows for smooth and efficient movement of vehicles in all directions without any conflicting turns.

4. Are there any disadvantages to a cloverleaf interchange?

One disadvantage of a cloverleaf interchange is that it requires a large amount of land space to be constructed. It may also be more expensive to build compared to other types of interchanges.

5. How has the design of cloverleaf interchanges evolved over time?

The design of cloverleaf interchanges has evolved over time to include features such as longer, wider ramps and multiple levels to accommodate more traffic. There has also been an increase in the use of technology, such as traffic signals and electronic tolling systems, to improve the efficiency and safety of cloverleaf interchanges.