1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics of celestial bodies

1. Feb 24, 2016 #1
    Hello, I'm a student in Higher School Preparatory Classes, I'm doing a research on "the dynamics of celestial bodies".
    I already included some notions of the motion of planets around the sun and the solar system around the center of the galaxy in my research, but it is not enough. I need resources on the web or some interesting points that I can add to my work because I need to include some "added value" to it and I'm really lost right now .
    I really appreciate any help you can provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Aymen, :welcome:

You could include some stuff from Celestia . The images are really beautiful.

And the math can be found under Kepler Orbit but some of that is quite a tough read !

By the way, I'm not so certain about "the solar system moves around the center of the galaxy"....

4. Feb 24, 2016 #3
    Thank you. The problem is that we already studied Kepler's laws and celestial mechanics last year and I need something new in my research.
    Isn't the sun orbiting the center of the galaxy? it completes one revolution every 225–250 million years.
    Here's a link from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_System#Galactic_context

5. Feb 24, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Impressive ! Obviously you know more about this than I do. Hats off! (I didn't learn about Kepler until at university...:rolleyes: ).

Re the "something new" in your mission: you yourself are best qualified to give some examples; perhaps a few keywords can inspire others to get you going where none have before ....

6. Feb 24, 2016 #5
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep looking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted