1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics of Circular Motion

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small block with mass m is placed inside an inverted cone that is rotating about a vertical axis such that the time for one revolution of the cone is T. The walls of the cone make an angle β with the vertical. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the cone is [itex]\mu_{s}[/itex]. If the block is to remain at a constant height H above the apex of the cone, what are the maximum and minimum values of T?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F=ma

a[itex]_{rad}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{V^{2}}{R}[/itex]

V=[itex]\frac{2\pi R}{T}[/itex]

f[itex]_{s}[/itex]=[itex]\mu_{s}[/itex]n

R=H tan[itex]\beta[/itex] (From diagram)

3. The attempt at a solution

As far as I can tell, the only problem I'm having is with my diagram. I first placed the x-axis along the side of the cone with the friction force parallel to it, and then moved it clockwise until the weight was parallel to the y-axis. The angles that form can be seen in the attached file, along with my work.

What I come up with is T[itex]_{max}[/itex]=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{h tanβ(cosβ-\mu_{s}sinβ)}{g(sinβ+\mu_{s}cosβ)}}[/itex] and T[itex]_{min}[/itex]=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{h tan(cosβ+\mu_{s}sinβ)}{g(sinβ-\mu_{s}cosβ)}}[/itex]

The answer that the book gives is T[itex]_{max}[/itex]=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{h tanβ(sinβ+\mu_{s}cosβ)}{g(cosβ-\mu_{s}cosβ)}}[/itex] and T[itex]_{min}[/itex]=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{h tanβ(sinβ-\mu_{s}cosβ)}{g(cosβ+\mu_{s}sinβ)}}[/itex]

I can only come up with this solution if I switch the angles around that the normal and friction forces make.

Also, the question comes from Young and Freedman 11th edition. Chapter 5, problem 5.119

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    In the first force diagram β is in the wrong place?

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    Oh man, you're right!!! Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook