1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Polar Coordinates

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4317/problem110.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Really I have no clue where to start on this guy. We did a problem sort of similar to this in class but we were given acceleration so we could use the form of

Vp = at [tex]\hat{u}[/tex]

From there we could say that Vp = [tex]\dot{r}[/tex] [tex]\hat{u}[/tex]r + r[tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex][tex]\hat{u}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex] = at [tex]\hat{u}[/tex]

I don't see how I could apply this equation in this problem, or really even if it does apply.
    Any hints would be greatly appreciated, just to get a start in the right direction!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Well, it looks interesting anyway!
    I don't know what you mean by Vp . . .
    Initially, r is just d and θ = 0 (the distance and angle from the origin).
    I think finding dr/dt will require knowing r as a function of time so it can be differentiated. I would write out formulas for the x and y position of the the particle as a function of time as in a standard trajectory question, then calculate r and θ from them. There may be shorter ways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook