1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Problem HELP - Free body diagram

1. Oct 25, 2003 #1
    IM in Phys.20 Got this question for an assignment. Tried it and got stuck. I really need help
    --------
    When golfing, uphill and downhill putts present different levels of difficulty. Suppose a green has a 5.0 degree slope and the force of friction will be 0.10N against the ball's motion. The ball has a mass of 46g and the length of putt will be 10.0m.

Which putt (uphill or downhill) presents a greater level of difficulty? Explain your reasoing using appropriate calculations

Draw Free body diagrams for both purrs. Find range of speed you may give the ball on each type of putt so that even if you miss the ball will stop within 1.0m of the hole.
    -------
    I know uphill would be more difficult because it requires more force but im having a hard time proving this using Free body diagrams and mathematical reasoning.
    THANKS FOR THE HELP,
    Coglon

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2003 #2
    Dynamics -- Still stuck.. need ideas

Fm=Fa+Fg
    46^2=Fa+9.81^2
    Fa=[squ]2019.7639
    fa= 44.9m/s^2
    F=Ma
    =46g*44.9m/s^2
    =2065N

Using Free body diagrams I believe I figured out that it would take...
    43.8N downhill and 64.3N uphill
    ------------------
    Im not sure if the above calculation are at all close and I cannot show you my Free Body Diagram due to the attach file would be too large and would not be readable to fit in attachment... Im have no clue how to determine the range of speed used to get the putt within 1.0m and whether or not I should be using some kinematic equations.

Thanks for help,
    Coglon

4. Oct 26, 2003 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Dynamics -- Still stuck.. need ideas

Hi coglon,

welcome to the forums.

This is an interresting problem...

Uh, not exactly sure what you're trying to do here. What do Fm, Fa, and Fg represent?

You also need to check your units. A Newton is 1kg*1m/s2, not 1g*1m/s2

You aren't going to be able to supply it with a force over the entire length of the path. The problem is assuming you bump it to give it an initial velocity (not caring the physics of the bump), and then applying friction and gravity forces to slow down/speed up the ball.

What type of file is it?

The way I see it, you'll need to do 4 different equations for two different cases. You will know the final velocity (0), and through the free body diagrams you can find the total force for the two cases. You'll be solving for initial velocities given a final position of 9m and 11m (one meter past the hole and one meter in front of the hole) for each case.

5. Oct 26, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I will second enigma in his wondering if you really have looked carefully at what you are doing. In addition to writing Fm= Fa+Fg without telling us what Fm, Fa, Fg mean (I would guess that Fg is "force of gravity", perhaps Fm is the net force on the ball. Would Fa be the friction force?) you have replaced Fm with (46)2 and Fg with (9.81)2. The only "46" in the problem is mass of the ball: 46 grams and I would guess that "9.81" is the acceleration due to gravity. Neither (46g)2 nor (9.81 m/s2)2 is a force and since they don't have the same units, they certainly would not fit into that equation no matter what Fm, Fa, or Fg were supposed to be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?