1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Problem Help Needed

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    Dynamics Problem Help Needed!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

K. So i have no idea how to even start this problem. can someone please explain how step by step? Thanks a million!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55153239@N03/6247406013/ [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea where to even start. Please help..

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Re: Dynamics Problem Help Needed!!

Draw a large diagram, and mark on what you are given. I think you should start by examining the stationary situation, by setting P=0, and determining whether the slider will move when its brake is released. In this scenario, the only force acting to move it is its own weight, though opposed by static friction.

By working through it this way, you will probably recognize how to later involve the accelerating force P.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Re: Dynamics Problem Help Needed!!

Agreed. I had lots of trouble in dynamics until I learned that the easiest way to solve just about any problem was to calm down and then draw FBDs, marking the givens and unknowns. After that, it almost always becomes a matter of simple mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook