1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Problem

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    Bit stuck on a projectile style question, at first glance I thought it would be pretty easy but I'm stuck now!

"A man is shooting another man who has climbed a pole h metres high, L metres away. The bullets are at speed v leaving the gun. Find an equation determining the angle of projection needed (alpha). Show that tan(alpha)=(v^2)gL for the maximum range."

Think I've got the angle part sorted, I have arccos(L/vt) for it anyway! But I'm really struggling getting the next part of the question, the nearest I've got is sin(2alpha) = (gL)/v^2 but can't really get tan into it! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2
    Horizontal velocity, displacement and acceleration respectively:
    [tex]v_x = v_0cos\alpha[/tex]
    [tex]s_x = v_0tcos\alpha[/tex]
    [tex]a_x = 0[/tex]

Vertical Velocity, displacement, acceleration respectively:
    [tex]v_y = v_osin\alpha - gt [/tex]
    [tex]s_y = v_0tsin\alpha - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 [/tex]
    [tex]a_y = -g [/tex]

[tex]\therefore y = \frac{v_0xsin\alpha}{v_0cos\alpha} - \frac{1}{2}g[\frac{x}{v_0cos\alpha}]^2 [/tex]

Cancel down and re-arrange, and you should be able to get the answer. Just is case it is needed, [tex]sin2\alpha = 2sin\alpha.cos\alpha [/tex] and [tex]tan\alpha = \frac{sin\alpha}{cos\alpha} [/tex]
    I trust that you can finish.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?