1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Problem

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    1. Car B is travelling a distance d ahead of car A. Both cars are travelling at 60ft/s when the driver of B suddenly applies the brakes, causing his car to decelerate at 12ft/s^2. It takes the driver of car A 0.75 to react. When he applies his brakes he decelerates at 15ft/s^2. Determine the minimum distance d between the cars so as to avoid a collision.

Diagram
    2. ______CAR A_(<----d---->_CAR B__________

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

s4orce, please show your work. We cannot help you until you do so!

4. Jan 30, 2007 #3
    i dont know how to post it on here

5. Jan 30, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what equations do you know? Do you have any that will relate to this problem? If so, post them, along with your ideas for attacking the problem.

6. Jan 30, 2007 #5
    To determine how long it will take you to stop assuming a constant rate of deceleration, you need only divide your starting velocity ft/s by your rate of deceleration.

60/12 = 5 for car B

60/15 = 4 + 0.75 seconds to react = 4.75 seconds to stop

7. Feb 2, 2007 #6
    Can anyone help me?

8. Feb 2, 2007 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Moved to Intro Physics forum.

s4orce, the problem asks you for the minimum starting separation between the two cars to avoid a collision. What is the kinematic equation for distance versus time, in terms of initial distance, initial velocity and acceleration? What is the kinematic equation for the velocity as a function of initial velocity and acceleration. Set up these equations for the two cars assuming some initial separation distance, and then figure out what you need to calculate to answer the initial question.

9. Feb 2, 2007 #8
    can someone please help me

10. Feb 2, 2007 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I did help you. Set up the equations that I mentioned, and that will either give you the answer outright, or if you have some math problems with them, we will be able to help you better by seeing where you are stumbling. We do not do your work for you here on the PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?