1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Problem

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    Hey I have been looking at the problem for a long time and for some reason I can't think of how to solve for it... I know I have to do some Calc to figure it out.

Ok so here it is

The acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation a = -0.05[tex][v]^{2}[/tex], where
    a is expressed in m/[tex]^{2}[/tex] and v in m/s. The particle starts at s=0m with a velocity of 5 m/s. Determine (a) the velocity v of the particle after it travels 10 m, (b) the distance s the particle will travel before its velocity drops to 2 m/s, (c) the distance s the particle will
    travel before it comes to rest.

so far I think what I have to do is take the derivative of a which ends up being -.1v but after that I am stuck because now I have velocity as a function of velocity... any ideas? I realize I am most likely doing this totally wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since [itex]a = dv/dt[/itex], you'll need to integrate to find v. Start there.

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    so I'll get
    [tex]\int[/tex]dv=[tex]\int[/tex]a dt
    (v2-v1) = -0.05[tex]v^{2}[/tex]*t - 0 (since [tex]t_{0}[/tex]=0)

but I now have 2 unknowns though.
    v and t

since I know the change in position shouldn't I do an integration over that? I'm just unsure how exactly it should be done

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

Doc Al

:yuck:

Before you can integrate properly, you must separate the variables:
    [tex] \frac{dv}{dt} = -0.05v^2[/tex]

[tex] \frac{dv}{v^2} = -0.05 dt[/tex]

Now try integrating. (And don't forget the integration constants.)

6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
    ok, I'm starting to have some wierd mistakes because I have been on this problem to long lol... but I don't have two integration constants for t or v. I have the change in s from 0m to 10m. This would only really be able to give me where it's time when it comes to a complete stop which is part of the problem. But right now I need to find velocity at 10m.

7. Jan 23, 2008 #6

Doc Al

One step at a time. :wink: First complete the integration to find v as a function of t. Then, using v = dx/dt, integrate once more.

8. Jan 23, 2008 #7

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

In this case, it would save a lot of trouble if he writes a = v(dv/dx). All the answers want some x at some v.

9. Jan 23, 2008 #8

Doc Al

Even quicker! :smile: (I was trying to keep it as straightforward and simple as possible.)

10. Jan 23, 2008 #9
    ok I think I got it.

so taking

[tex] \int_0 ^{10m} -0.05v^2 dx = \int_0^v v dv [/tex]

I get

[tex]-0.05x|_0 ^{10} = ln|v||_{5m/s} ^v [/tex]

[tex] e^{1.11} = v [/tex]

getting 3.03 m/s

I think that's right...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  11. Jan 24, 2008 #10

Doc Al

Looks good, but be careful how your write up your work.
    [tex] v\frac{dv}{dx} = -0.05v^2[/tex]

[tex] \frac{dv}{v} = -0.05dx[/tex]

[tex] ln(v) = -0.05x + C[/tex]

12. Jan 24, 2008 #11
    ok yeah I'm going to write it more throughly when I put it on paper. There wouldn't be the C because I have known points I'm integrating between. thanks for checking my work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?