1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics problem

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A boat has mass m=1000 kg and is moving at velocity v0=324 ms^-1. Friction force btw the boat and water is proportional to velocity v, Fd=70*v. How long it takes to slow down to 162ms^-1 ?

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure which function should I integrate, because acceleration is not constant.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand Friction force and acceleration as functions of v, but I have no idea how to express these as functions of time, since acc is not constant. Then I would integrate a(t) with respect to time and substitute final velocity for v(t) and from that I'd get the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2
    Draw a force diagram, and apply Newton's 2nd law. You can get the acceleration that way. Then use [itex]a = \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] to get a differential equation. Solve it and find [itex]v[/itex] in terms of [itex]t[/itex]. Solve for [itex]t[/itex] and substitute correct value of [itex]v[/itex] to find the time.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3
    a=-70v/m
    ∫dv=∫(-70v/m)dt
    v=-70/m ∫vdt - the problem is I do not know v in terms of t :(

5. Oct 29, 2011 #4
    Instead of your second line, do this,
    [tex]\int{\frac{dv}{v}}=\int{\frac{-70 dt}{m}}[/tex]

6. Oct 29, 2011 #5
    I have to correct given informtion v0=25 ms^-1 and v=12.5 ms^-1

Ok, I tried your suggestion and from that I get:

t = (-m*(ln(v) + v0))/70 -what doesn't seem right

After substituting v = 12.5 I get t = 393 s and that is wrong (correct answer should be 9.9s)

7. Oct 29, 2011 #6
    This does not agree with my final answer.

Check whether you applied the initial boundary condition (v = v0 when t=0 ) correctly.

8. Oct 29, 2011 #7
    At t = 0, I'm pretty sure, the integration constant is equal vo (=25).

9. Oct 29, 2011 #8
    Not ln(vo) ?

10. Oct 29, 2011 #9
    Yes, you're right, thanks. I finally got it correct. My mistake was I put the constant directly from initial conditions, not solving from integrated function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook