1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics problem.

1. Sep 29, 2003 #1
    Ok, it's 3am and I can't seem to get the answer that concurs with the answer in the back of the book, I went over my work 10 times and I don't see any mistakes in my work!

10. Two masses of 6 kg and 9 kg respectively are fastened to the pull ends of a cord passing over a light, frictionless pulley supported by a hook. Find the pull on the hook while the masses are in motion.

Here's my work:

Fnet = (M1 + M2)(A)
    Fnet = (-6 kg + 9 kg)(10 m/s^2) The 6 is negative because it's going upward (opposite to the 9, which is going downward)
    Fnet = 3(10m/s/s)
    Fnet = 30 N

Now to find the acceleration of the system:

As = Fnet / M1 + M2
    As = 30 / 6 + 9
    As = 30 / 15
    As = 2m/s^2

We have the acceleration, now we just find the Tension between the first or second mass and the hook.

Fnet = M1(As)
    Fg1 + FT = M1(As)
    Ft = M1(As) - Fg1
    Ft = 6(2m/s^2) - (-60)
    Ft = 12 + 60
    Ft = 72N

It says the Answer should be 144N. Maybe I'm missing something because it's 3am, but please someone help? I'm dead tired and I have no idea what went wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tension between the first mass and the hook is 72N. What about the second mass and the hook?

The hook is holding both of them up, after all.

4. Sep 29, 2003 #3
    Lol! Wow how could've I missed that, the hook is holding them both up, i forgot about the other tension. Silly me, so I take the tension of one end and mutiply it by 2, since both the tensions are equal, just in opposite directions, which would give me 144N. Thanks enigma, can't believe I missed that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?