1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics problem

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1
    • Warning! Posting template must be used for homework questions.
    this is a part of a much bigger problem, I have a 600lb motorcycle going from point A to point B, which are 500 ft apart, i know the force exerted by the road on the motorcycle when the throttle is pressed is F(t)=300(1-.1t).
    I need time in order velocity at B ,
    I'm really lost on where to start on this, i was thinking f=ma could give me acceleration, but then i dont know what to do with that.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2014 #2
    Are you trying to determine the velocity at point B?

If you know the acceleration then by definition you should be able to get the velocity.

4. Oct 7, 2014 #3
    so f=ma will give me a acceleration as a function of t, and yes i need velocity at B, but then won't i only have velocity as a function of t if by definition?.

5. Oct 7, 2014 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Right, but if you have velocity, you can find position. Find how long it takes to get to point B, then use that t for your velocity.

6. Oct 7, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gee, if only there were a way that acceleration could be used to get velocity, and that velocity could then be used to find distance. It would seem to be a good reason to study rectilinear motion in physics, or something. Maybe somebody wrote a textbook on how to do this stuff. IDK, that would probably take a lot of work to figure out.

7. Oct 7, 2014 #6
    so would i use Vi^2=Vf^2+2A(500) and substitute in V and A as their function of t equations? because then i get t= 10.05 does that seem right?

8. Oct 7, 2014 #7

RUber

Homework Helper

What units are you using for m, F, and distance? I hope F is in ft/lbs.

9. Oct 7, 2014 #8
    m = slugs, F lbs, distance = ft

10. Oct 7, 2014 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that formula only works for constant acceleration. You need to use the general relationships between acceleration, velocity, and distance - namely, integral formulas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted