What is the magnitude of P in a dynamics pulley problem?

In summary, the problem is that the 40-lb block is moving downward with a speed of 3 ft/s at t=0 when constant forces P and 2P are applied through the ropes. Knowing that the block is moving upward with a speed of 2 ft/s when t=4 s, determine (a) the magnitude of P. (b) the time at which the speed is 0 ft/s.
mwelly007
Here is the problem;

The 40-lb block is moving downward with a speed of 3 ft/s at t=0 when constant forces P and 2P are applied through the ropes. Knowing that the block is moving upward with a speed of 2 ft/s when t=4 s, determine (a) the magnitude of P. (b) the time at which the speed is 0 ft/s. Neglect all friction.

**The picture is attached as a pdf, which consists of 4 pulleys.

Attachments

• pulley_pdf.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work and point out where you got stuck.

difficulties

I am having difficulties setting it up and getting the ball rolling. There are no examples of pulley problems in this chapter. Thus far, I have figured the length of the ropes to be from left to right:

L1=y1+3*y2
L2=y2+y3

where,
y1=length to P
y2=pulley to pulley/box
y3=length to 2P

From this we no that dL/dt=0 so
v1=y1'+3*y2'
v2=y2+y3

Then I can apply the Principle of Impulse:
mv1+Imp(1-->2)=mv2

I don't think I am setting it up correctly, but once I do, I think I could continue on the right track.

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The only thing you really need to know about a pully, is that the tension in the ropes on both sides of the wheel is equal. The tension in the rope through the fixed end of the pully is then twice that value.
If you use this then it's easy to find the total upward force of all the ropes on the block.

mwelly007 said:
I am having difficulties setting it up and getting the ball rolling. There are no examples of pulley problems in this chapter. Thus far, I have figured the length of the ropes to be from left to right:

L1=y1+3*y2
L2=y2+y3

where,
y1=length to P
y2=pulley to pulley/box
y3=length to 2P

From this we no that dL/dt=0 so
v1=y1'+3*y2'
v2=y2+y3
Although in many pulley problems you do have to worry about such constraints in order to solve for the tensions, in this particular problem they give you the tensions. So just follow kamerling's advice and find the net force on the block.

Then I can apply the Principle of Impulse:
mv1+Imp(1-->2)=mv2
You could use this principle, or you could just use Newton's 2nd law. (What's the acceleration?)

So, to clarify, my tensions from left to right are... P/4 (for all 4) and P for the last 2... correct? And the acceleration, using v=v0+at, is 5/4 ft/s^2 upward. Then, all the tensions forces are up, mg is down, and F=ma is up, and solve for P? Seems I'm missing something.

mwelly007 said:
So, to clarify, my tensions from left to right are... P/4 (for all 4) and P for the last 2... correct?
No. The rope on the left is being pulled with a force P, so the tension in all its segments is P; similarly, the rope on the right has a tension of 2P.
And the acceleration, using v=v0+at, is 5/4 ft/s^2 upward. Then, all the tensions forces are up, mg is down, and F=ma is up, and solve for P? Seems I'm missing something.
That's all there is to it.

Makes sense, because otherwise adding pulleys would have no benefit. So then the equation is 5P+ma-mg=0, where mg=40 and m=40/32.3? Sorry, but for some reason, this problem is difficult for me to grasp.

mwelly007 said:
So then the equation is 5P+ma-mg=0, where mg=40 and m=40/32.3?
I'd write it as: 5P - mg = ma

I know the original post was in 2008, but even two years later searching this forum has helped me understand pulley dynamics problems. Thanks kamerling and Doc Al!

1. What is a dynamics pulley problem?

A dynamics pulley problem is a physics problem that involves the application of Newton's laws of motion to a system of pulleys in motion. In these types of problems, the forces acting on the pulley system and the resulting motion are analyzed.

2. How do you approach solving a dynamics pulley problem?

The first step in solving a dynamics pulley problem is to draw a clear and accurate diagram of the pulley system. Then, identify all the forces acting on the system, including tension, weight, and friction. Next, use Newton's laws of motion to set up and solve equations to determine the motion of the system.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a dynamics pulley problem?

One common mistake is not considering the mass and acceleration of the pulley itself. Another mistake is not properly taking into account the direction of the tension force, which can change depending on the direction of motion. It is also important to keep track of units and use the correct equations for the given scenario.

4. What are some real-world applications of dynamics pulley problems?

Dynamics pulley problems have many real-world applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and zip lines. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and design mechanical systems.

5. Is there a simplified approach to solving dynamics pulley problems?

Yes, there is a simplified approach called the "one string at a time" method. This method involves analyzing the forces and motion of each string individually, then combining the results to determine the overall motion of the system. It can be helpful for complex pulley systems with multiple strings and moving parts.