Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics question

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    th_untitled1.jpg

Find out the acceleration of the rod A and the wedge B in the arrangement if the ratio of mass of the wedge to that of the rod equals [tex]\eta[/tex], and the friction between all contact surfaces is negligible

2. Relevant equations
    Mass of rod = m, Mass of wedge = M

mg - [tex]N cos \alpha[/tex] = ma, downwards

3. The attempt at a solution
    Normal reaction is perpendicular the wedge surface and I don't know if it has a component that can accelerate the wedge to the right. If the force is moving to the left, surely the wedge can't be accelerated to the left.

I need to know which force accelerates the wedge to the right. I'm thinking that the normal reaction has the component [tex]N sin \alpha[/tex] directed to the left.
    If I knew which component of force was directed to the right, I could solve the remaining part of it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    Someone, please?

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi sArGe99! Welcome to PF! :smile:

conservation of energy? :wink:

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
    Yes. I did try that out. Don't think I have got enough information to use that.

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5
    Normal reaction acts perpendicular to the wedge surface. Is that right, in this case?
    I think that is where I might have gone wrong.

7. Mar 16, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes you have …

try again (use x and x', where x is horizontal displacement), and show us what you get :smile:

8. Mar 16, 2009 #7
    I think the kinematic relationship is Distance moved by Rod / Distance moved by wedge = tan (alpha)?

9. Mar 17, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

just woke up :zzz: …
    You know it is …

get on with it!

10. Mar 17, 2009 #9
    Oh.. I could do with this one, I guess.
    It can be solved using force equations, right? I actually wanted to try that method out first.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook