Help Solving Dynamics Problem: Skier Coasting Down Hill

• Thread starter lussi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the skier's velocity at p. B is 15s after stopping at p. C. The friction coefficient between the sky and snow is μ = 0.5.
lussi
I'm studying for my exam and I don't understand the solution to a problem. I hope someone could help. It's actually for Dynamics.

problem: A skier coasts down a hill without initial velocity. The slope is at angle α = 30° with respect to the horizon from p. A to p. B. From p. B to p. C the track is with a reverse angle β = 10° with respect to the horizon. The skier stops at p. C. The motion time for section AB is t1 = 6s, and for section BC - t2 = 15s. Determine the friction coefficient μ between the skies and the snow, as well as the skier's velocity at p. B.

A part of the given solution is: m*y1 = 0 = N1 - m*g*cosα. And I thought that it should be the sin of the angle.

If you could actually explain the solution to the problem, I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello lussi,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

lussi said:
I'm studying for my exam and I don't understand the solution to a problem. I hope someone could help. It's actually for Dynamics.

problem: A skier coasts down a hill without initial velocity. The slope is at angle α = 30° with respect to the horizon from p. A to p. B. From p. B to p. C the track is with a reverse angle β = 10° with respect to the horizon. The skier stops at p. C. The motion time for section AB is t1 = 6s, and for section BC - t2 = 15s. Determine the friction coefficient μ between the skies and the snow, as well as the skier's velocity at p. B.

A part of the given solution is: m*y1 = 0 = N1 - m*g*cosα. And I thought that it should be the sin of the angle.

There's some dimensionality issues with the equation, the way it written above. The left side of the equation is written in mass times distance, while the right side is force. Something about that isn't consistent.

Anyway, let's just take the right side of the equation:

0 = N1 - mgcosα.​
Rearranging,
N1 = mgcosα.​

That's the magnitude of the normal force. Finding the magnitude of the normal force is one step along the way to solving the problem.

lussi said:

If you could actually explain the solution to the problem, I would really appreciate it.

When you used the cos(a), maybe you were thinking of the component of the gravitational force along the direction of the downhill path? Concentrate on just one force component at a time, and take collinsmark's suggestion.

SkiProblem2_zps18cde3d5.png

Well, thank you for the quick answers. I've forgotten to write that y1 in the equation is a second derivative, i.e. the acceleration. In the book, it was written with 2 dots on top of y1.

lussi said:
Well, thank you for the quick answers. I've forgotten to write that y1 in the equation is a second derivative, i.e. the acceleration. In the book, it was written with 2 dots on top of y1.
Okay, so that's saying that the component of acceleration in the direction of the normal is 0, which makes sense.

However, the component of the acceleration parallel to the surface is not. So, you'll need to sum the force components along this direction, set that equal to [itex] ma_{\|} [/itex]. Then kinematics can be used.*

*(If I'm not mistaken, there is an alternate way to solve the problem using conservation of energy instead kinematics. Either way though, you'll still need to calculate the force of friction, and that involves the magnitude of the normal force.)

[Edit: nevermind, about the conservation of energy. I think kinematics is the best approach.]

1. How can I calculate the acceleration of a skier coasting down a hill?

The acceleration of the skier can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. In this case, the final velocity is equal to the initial velocity, since the skier is coasting at a constant speed. Therefore, the acceleration will be 0 m/s^2.

2. What is the force acting on the skier while coasting down the hill?

The force acting on the skier while coasting down the hill is the force of gravity, also known as weight. This force is directed downwards towards the center of the Earth and is responsible for the skier's motion down the hill. It can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where m is the mass of the skier and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. How do I calculate the skier's speed at any given point while coasting down the hill?

The skier's speed can be calculated using the formula v = vi + at, where vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (in this case, 0 m/s^2), and t is the time interval. Since the skier is coasting at a constant speed, the initial velocity will be equal to the final velocity. Therefore, the speed at any given point will be equal to the initial speed.

4. How does the angle of the hill affect the skier's motion?

The angle of the hill affects the skier's motion by changing the magnitude and direction of the force of gravity. A steeper hill will result in a greater force of gravity, causing the skier to accelerate faster. Additionally, the angle of the hill can also affect the skier's balance and ability to control their speed while coasting.

5. Can friction affect the skier's motion while coasting down the hill?

Yes, friction can affect the skier's motion while coasting down the hill. Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can act on the skier in the form of air resistance or surface resistance. This can slow down the skier's speed and make it more difficult for them to maintain their balance while coasting.