1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics question

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a mass z is held on an incline plane with mass P. when the the masses are released, both objects begin to move and accelerate. find accell of the incline plane

GIVEN: z,P,angle A, surfaces are frictionless

solve in terms of these variables.
    2. Relevant equations

f=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    i chose my positive x direction along the ground surface below the incline plane, toward the direction of its motion.

so first i solved for the small mass on top the normal force, which is the force which applied onto the incline plane by the small mass.

fnety=0=FNcosA - zg
    FN= zg/cosA

now when i do the FBD of the incline plane the forces acting on it, are the normal (FN) which gives it an unbalanced force in the +X direction.

so i get the expression

fnetx= (z+P)a=FNsinA

subbing in the FN,i get

a= zgtanA/(z+P)

is this correct? if not can you tell me where i am going wrong.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2
    The small mass accelerates along the y direction. So Fnet is not zero along this direction.

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3
    Ahh I see..
    Fnety=zg=FN-zgcosA
    FN=2zg/cosA

Ans; 2zgtanA/(z+P)

5. Oct 10, 2013 #4
    The vertical acceleration of the small object is not g. It's not falling freely.

6. Oct 10, 2013 #5
    would it make it more simple if i chose a different frame of reference.

7. Oct 10, 2013 #6
    You could work in the non-inertial frame of the moving inclined plane. But I am not sure it makes simpler. Depends how it is easier to visualize for you. In the inertial frame attached to the ground or in the moving frame.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted