1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Question

1. Mar 24, 2017 #1
    Mod note: Thread moved from technical section so no homework template shown.

Hello there,

I am working on a dynamics question, but I am not sure how to tackle it since my teacher has not really taught this topic well.

I would like some advice on how to start the question off and the method that I can use to solve, I don't need you to do all the work for me. My course exam is coming up soon, so its important that I learn how to tackle these kinds of questions alone.

Dynamics Question.jpeg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since nothing is said about velocity, assume it wants the minimum work necessary, i.e. you can assume that it is done so slowly that you can ignore KE. That also means you can ignore accelerations.
    If there were no friction you could just use work conservation (potential energy change), but since there is friction you have to deal with the forces.
    So take the box as sliding at a slow steady speed. What forces act on the box? What force balance equations can you write?

4. Mar 25, 2017 #3

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The work done will be the [net forces on the block (in the direction of motion)] multiplied by the distance moved. What forces are acting on the block. Can you break down the forces into components parallel to the plane, and normal to the plane?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted