1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Quiz: Newton's Laws

1. Nov 28, 2006 #1
    "John" the stair-slider was recently photographed sliding down a staircase. He has a mass of 98.0 kg when sitting on a carpet lubed up on the bottom with a kg of butter. The staircase is 8.2 meters long and makes an angle of 43 degrees with the horizontal. The butter reduces his frictional force to 50.0 N. Stavro begins his slide by running, grabbing his carpet, and launching himself on the stairs with a velocity of 4.89 m/s. Determine:

A) John's acceleration (Draw a Force Diagram of the system to help you)
    B) How long is takes John to reach the bottom of the stairs
    C) John's velocity at the bottom of the stairs

HELP ME PLEASE! i dont really know where to start
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2006 #2
    Please show some kind of mental effort in working through the problem. What parts make sense, what equations are you working with... Nothing in your text gives you clues?
  4. Nov 28, 2006 #3
    A) Newtons law states that F = MA. Force = mass * acceleration. Since mass is constant throughout, as acceleration increases, what happens to the force?
  5. Nov 28, 2006 #4
    Also, is this really "advanced physics"?
  6. Nov 29, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Easy! Since it was Stavro who slid down the stairs, John will have no acceleration, will never reach the bottom of the stairs and will have no velocity at the bottom of the stairs!
  7. Nov 29, 2006 #6
    Stavro? i dont understand
  8. Nov 29, 2006 #7
    Stavro is the guy in the problem.
  9. Nov 29, 2006 #8
    ok i see, well if someone could just get me started with the problem it would be great
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?