Dynamics: Rotating collar

In summary, the problem involves finding the relation between the normal force and acceleration, using radial and transverse coordinates. While setting the normal force equal to mass times gravity may work in some cases, it is not always applicable and the correct approach is to create a relation between the X and Y force equations and solve for the normal force. This is because the normal force can only work in a perpendicular direction to the object, and without friction, the only direction in which the object can exercise force is perpendicular to the object.
kspabo

Homework Statement

19623813-1fa9-48fb-8529-88df5ebdf8d8.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
Radial and Transverse coordinates to relate acceleration

Balancing forces

The Attempt at a Solution

f437be41-197a-4b06-a8dc-da2462402b08.png

I know that there is more to this problem, but my question is simple: Why don't we know what the normal force is? When I solved it myself I just set the Normal force to mass * gravity... why isn't this the case for this problem? All of the solutions I've found have them creating a relation between the X and Y force eqns. and setting them equal to solve. Why can't we just set N = mg as I was so used to doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't told us what problem you are trying to solve . Please post the original statement of the problem as given to you .

Nidum said:
You haven't told us what problem you are trying to solve . Please post the original statement of the problem as given to you .
My apologies, I completely forgot to include that part. Here it is:

c3IA3YY.png

N can only work in a normal direction (as the word normal force suggests :smile:) . Without friction, the only direction in which the rod can exercise force on the collar is perpendicular to the rod.
You have figured out the components of N, so you can add them up (vectorially) to get ##|\vec F_N|##.

[edit] no, sorry, you needed to calculate that |F| from its vertical component to get r.

What is the purpose of a rotating collar?

A rotating collar is used to transmit torque, or rotational force, between two connected objects. It allows for rotation in one direction while preventing rotation in the opposite direction.

How does a rotating collar work?

A rotating collar typically consists of two parts: a cylindrical collar and a shaft. The collar is attached to one object while the shaft is attached to the other. The collar has internal teeth or splines that mesh with external teeth or splines on the shaft, allowing for torque to be transmitted between the two objects.

What factors affect the performance of a rotating collar?

The performance of a rotating collar can be affected by various factors, such as the material and design of the collar and shaft, the amount of torque being transmitted, and the speed and direction of rotation. Proper lubrication and maintenance can also impact the performance of a rotating collar.

What are some common applications of rotating collars?

Rotating collars are commonly used in machinery and equipment that require the transmission of torque, such as gears, transmissions, and power tools. They are also used in automotive and aerospace industries, as well as in household appliances.

What are the advantages of using a rotating collar?

A rotating collar allows for the transmission of torque between two objects without the need for additional components, such as gears or belts. This can reduce the overall size and complexity of a system. Additionally, rotating collars are durable and efficient, making them a popular choice in various industries.