1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Slide

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A slide-loving pig slides down a certain 35 degree slide in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 35 degree slide. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the slide?

2. Relevant equations
    fs = Mk * Fn

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not quite sure how to tackle this one =(

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: Find the component of the net force that acts parallel to the incline.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Perhaps examine the kinematic relationship between time distance and acceleration?

x = 1/2*a*t2

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4
    I dont understand how to do it, I'm only given the 35 degree angle. Also the answer isn't given in the back of the book so I couldn't know if I did it right even if I did have te correct procedure.

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay. I suggest you start by drawing a free body diagram, labelling all the forces.

7. Feb 22, 2009 #6
    I have tried this... I still don't know what to do. Can you please show me the solution?

8. Feb 22, 2009 #7
    I got 0.53 as my Mk.. please let me know if this is right.

9. Feb 22, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That's what I get.

3/4*tan35

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook