1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics: Tension (Elevator)

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An elevator(4850kg) is to be designed so that the maximum acceleration is 0.068m/s2. What are the minumum and maximum forces the motor must exert on the supporting cable?

2. Relevant equations

Force = mass(acceleration)
    Forcevertical = Ftens + Fgrav
    3. The attempt at a solution

Forcevertical = Ftens + Fgrav
    Force = 4850kg(0.068m/s2)
    = 329.8N

Forcevertical = 329.8N - 47530N
    = -47200N

I'm not so sure about both answers but i think the first solution is kinda right?

thanks in Advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2
    Not quite. Think about what is happening. It also has to account for the force of gravity. So the minimum amount of force needed would be to support the force of gravity, and the maximum would be to not only support the force of gravity, but to accelerate the elevator upward at 0.068m/s2. So How would you express those forces with mathematics?

4. Jan 8, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please define what Forcevertical represents.
    Which of the forces in the first equation corresponds to "Force" in this equation?

5. Jan 8, 2015 #4

6. Jan 8, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, there are two applied forces (plural) on the y axis, and you have those on the right hand side of the equation. Forcevertical is one force. The word I'm looking for is 'net' force, or 'resultant' force.
    Then that's where you are wrong. In the standard equation F=ma, what does F represent? Yes, I know it's a force, but exactly what force?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted