What is the Velocity of the Spring After Compression?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving calculating the speed of a slider after a collision. The initial kinetic energy of the slider is equal to the final elastic energy of the spring. Energy is not conserved during the collision, but momentum is. The correct answer was found after realizing there was a typo in the given value for the spring constant.
Chantry09

Homework Statement

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4360/physicsjg1.jpg

Homework Equations

Elastic Energy = 0.5 x k x
Kinetic Energy = 0.5 x m x

The Attempt at a Solution

At 1m i worked out there is 1.922J of energy (0.5 x 10 x 0.62²) stored in the spring. Since no energy is lost and initially the spring has no energy i assume it must be:

Initial Kinetic Energy = Final Elastic Energy
Initial Kientic Energy = 1.922J
0.5 x m x V² = 1.922
0.5 x 10 x V² = 1.922
5 x V² = 1.922
V² = 0.384
V = 0.634 m/s

The answer however should be 0.876 m /s. Can someone please help me see where i have gone wrong?

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, they are asking for the speed of the slider immediately after the collision. The spring hasn't stretched yet. (I assume that there are other parts to this question?)

Analyze the collision. Energy is not conserved during the collision; you are told that it's a partially inelastic collision. But what is conserved?

Momentum?

Im not told the speed of A so i can't work out the speed of B as a result of the collision. Therefore I've been using the rules of energy conservation. Initial kientic energy of B = Final elastic energy in spring?

typo!

Forget what I said in my last post. (I've got to learn to read more carefully. :redface:)

Your energy method is perfectly correct. But there is a typo in the problem. Note that on the diagram the spring constant is given as k = 20 N/m. Use that value and you'll get the required answer.

Sorry about that!

Ah i didnt spot that error on the sheet, i guess i should learn to read more carefully too!

Thank you.

1. What is velocity in dynamics?

Velocity in dynamics refers to the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct definitions in the context of dynamics. While speed refers to the rate of change of distance, velocity takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it took for that change to occur. This can be expressed as v = (xf - xi) / t, where v is velocity, xf is the final position, xi is the initial position, and t is the time interval.

4. What are the units of velocity?

The SI unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) are also commonly used.

5. How does velocity affect an object's motion?

The velocity of an object affects its motion in several ways. A change in velocity can result in a change in speed, direction, or both. The magnitude of velocity can also determine an object's momentum and its ability to overcome external forces.