1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics - vertical spring and horizontal pendulum problem

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    having my brain fried with some dynamics problems for uni and my lecturer is on holiday so I dont have anyone to ask.

Currently working on un-dampned vibration and simple harmonic motion and I can work out basic questions such as a weight hanging on a spring but when it starts to involve rotation as well I just cant seem to get my head round it.

this is the type of question I mean:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1142/wtfxr2.jpg [Broken]

any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

is there any way of simplifying the problem in a similar way to parralell/seris spring problems? or is this too simple a problem to simplify!?!

ive been trying to rething th problem as a massless wheel of radius L with a tangental downards force (forcing the wheel clockwise) of WL Sin (theta) and a tangental upwards force (anti-clockwise) of Ka Sin(theta)

am I making fundametal/retarded misstakes or is this the completely wrong way to go about it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted