Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics - vertical spring and horizontal pendulum problem

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    having my brain fried with some dynamics problems for uni and my lecturer is on holiday so I dont have anyone to ask.

Currently working on un-dampned vibration and simple harmonic motion and I can work out basic questions such as a weight hanging on a spring but when it starts to involve rotation as well I just cant seem to get my head round it.

this is the type of question I mean:

[​IMG]

any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

is there any way of simplifying the problem in a similar way to parralell/seris spring problems? or is this too simple a problem to simplify!?!

ive been trying to rething th problem as a massless wheel of radius L with a tangental downards force (forcing the wheel clockwise) of WL Sin (theta) and a tangental upwards force (anti-clockwise) of Ka Sin(theta)

am I making fundametal/retarded misstakes or is this the completely wrong way to go about it?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted