Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dyno Rooms

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    Hi The company I work for has a Dyno room for tuning its engines before sale.
    Can someone advise me on an electronic noise retardant please?
    The room where the Dyno is situated is quite small and doesn't really have the ability to be lined with a material unless it were less that 25mm thick.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Pen.
    I don't know any details, but there are active noise-cancelling systems that invert the sound input and emit the opposite signal through speakers or transducers. In automotive terms, they're referred to as 'active mufflers'.
  4. Mar 23, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

I'd look at putting some kind of removable enclosure around the engine and then pump outside air in to help with combustion air and cooling. If you don't have any room to soundproof, there aren't really any other options.

Active noise cancellation does not work for broad band noise. It focuses on particular frequency contributions.
  5. Mar 23, 2008 #4

Gold Member

Thanks, Fred. I wasn't aware of the frequency restrictions of active cancellation.
  6. Mar 23, 2008 #5
    Hi Guys,
    Thankyou for your advice thus far.
    Here is the heads up on what I have, the Dyno is a Dynojet rolling road style dyno.
    It is in a room made from Bessa brick, and fire check plaster.
    The outside noise is way over the top, mainly due to the fact that the engines are Harley-Davidsons.
    The outside noise is quite important as the room is situated in the reception area of our new service centre.
    I have a great air induction system pulling about 24 thou ltrs per sec.
    The room size is approx: 4.4L x 2.1W X 2.5H.
    The room is a great place to work as far as air is concerned have never felt the slightest taste of gas.
  7. Mar 23, 2008 #6
    Thanx Danger,
    This is exactly what I am looking for.
    I simply don't know enough about it to go and shop for such an item.
  8. Mar 23, 2008 #7

Gold Member

Unfortunately, as Fred pointed out, active cancellation might not be applicable in your situation. :frown:
    What sort of exhaust ducting do you have? Most of the noise comes from the tailpipes, so maybe something can be done in that area (as long as changes of backpressure don't mess up your dyno readings too much).
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?