: Finding the Right Electronic Noise Retardant for Your Dyno Room

In summary: The room where the Dyno is situated is quite small and doesn't really have the ability to be lined with a material unless it were less that 25mm thick. PennWelcome to PF, Pen.I don't know any details, but there are active noise-cancelling systems that invert the sound input and emit the opposite signal through speakers or transducers. In automotive terms, they're referred to as 'active mufflers'. Most of the noise comes from the tailpipes, so maybe something can be done in that area (as long as changes of backpressure don't mess up your dyno readings too much).
Pen Repine
Hi The company I work for has a Dyno room for tuning its engines before sale.
Can someone advise me on an electronic noise retardant please?
The room where the Dyno is situated is quite small and doesn't really have the ability to be lined with a material unless it were less that 25mm thick.
Penn

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Pen.
I don't know any details, but there are active noise-cancelling systems that invert the sound input and emit the opposite signal through speakers or transducers. In automotive terms, they're referred to as 'active mufflers'.

I'd look at putting some kind of removable enclosure around the engine and then pump outside air into help with combustion air and cooling. If you don't have any room to soundproof, there aren't really any other options.

Active noise cancellation does not work for broad band noise. It focuses on particular frequency contributions.

Thanks, Fred. I wasn't aware of the frequency restrictions of active cancellation.

FredGarvin said:
I'd look at putting some kind of removable enclosure around the engine and then pump outside air into help with combustion air and cooling. If you don't have any room to soundproof, there aren't really any other options.

Active noise cancellation does not work for broad band noise. It focuses on particular frequency contributions.

Hi Guys,
Thankyou for your advice thus far.
Here is the heads up on what I have, the Dyno is a Dynojet rolling road style dyno.
It is in a room made from Bessa brick, and fire check plaster.
The outside noise is way over the top, mainly due to the fact that the engines are Harley-Davidsons.
The outside noise is quite important as the room is situated in the reception area of our new service centre.
I have a great air induction system pulling about 24 thou ltrs per sec.
The room size is approx: 4.4L x 2.1W X 2.5H.
The room is a great place to work as far as air is concerned have never felt the slightest taste of gas.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Pen.
I don't know any details, but there are active noise-cancelling systems that invert the sound input and emit the opposite signal through speakers or transducers. In automotive terms, they're referred to as 'active mufflers'.

Thanx Danger,
This is exactly what I am looking for.
I simply don't know enough about it to go and shop for such an item.
Pen

Unfortunately, as Fred pointed out, active cancellation might not be applicable in your situation. :frown:
What sort of exhaust ducting do you have? Most of the noise comes from the tailpipes, so maybe something can be done in that area (as long as changes of backpressure don't mess up your dyno readings too much).

Last edited:

1. What is electronic noise retardant and why is it important for dyno rooms?

Electronic noise retardant is a material that is used to reduce the amount of electronic interference or noise in a dyno room. This noise can be caused by various electronic equipment and can affect the accuracy of dyno readings. It is important for dyno rooms because it helps to create a controlled environment for accurate testing and data collection.

2. How do I know if my dyno room needs electronic noise retardant?

If you are experiencing inconsistent or inaccurate readings on your dyno, it may be a sign that your dyno room needs electronic noise retardant. You can also perform a noise test using a spectrum analyzer to determine the level of interference in your dyno room.

3. What are the different types of electronic noise retardant available?

There are various types of electronic noise retardant available, such as conductive materials, ferrite beads, and shielded cables. Conductive materials, such as copper or aluminum, are used to create a barrier between the dyno room and external sources of interference. Ferrite beads are small magnetic cores that can be attached to cables to suppress interference. Shielded cables have a conductive layer that surrounds the wires to prevent interference.

4. How do I choose the right electronic noise retardant for my dyno room?

The right electronic noise retardant for your dyno room will depend on the level of interference and the specific equipment being used. It is best to consult with a professional or conduct a noise test to determine the most effective solution for your dyno room.

5. Can electronic noise retardant be installed in an existing dyno room?

Yes, electronic noise retardant can be installed in an existing dyno room. However, it may require more extensive installation if the dyno room was not originally designed with noise reduction in mind. It is important to consult with a professional to ensure proper installation and effectiveness of the noise retardant.