Fred's Simple E-field Sensor: Seeking Suggestions

In summary, Fred is a newcomer to a forum and is designing a simple E-field sensor. He wrapped two styrofoam balls with aluminum foil and connected them to an oscilloscope with a 100GOhm resistor. However, he is not getting any readings and is asking for suggestions or comments. Other forum members suggest using capacitive pickup techniques or devising a way to measure the force of the E-field. One member explains that the setup is similar to a demonstration device for electrostatic charges but does not generate any voltage on its own.
estantef
Hello everyone,

My name is Fred and I'm a newcomer to the forum. I'm designing a very simple E-field sensor. So all I did was I got two styrofoam balls, wrapped them around with a few layers of aluminum foil to serve as charge collecting surfaces. Put both "sensors" on the ends of a thin wood rod about 1m long. Hooked it up to my oscope and measured nothing. Expected, since the potential should be very small anyways. So I connected a 100GOhm resistor in series and then connected to the oscilloscope. Now I should be reading a decent (and somewhat steady) potential.

But that's not happening. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks a lot,
Fred

Engineering news on Phys.org
estantef said:
Hello everyone,

My name is Fred and I'm a newcomer to the forum. I'm designing a very simple E-field sensor. So all I did was I got two styrofoam balls, wrapped them around with a few layers of aluminum foil to serve as charge collecting surfaces. Put both "sensors" on the ends of a thin wood rod about 1m long. Hooked it up to my oscope and measured nothing. Expected, since the potential should be very small anyways. So I connected a 100GOhm resistor in series and then connected to the oscilloscope. Now I should be reading a decent (and somewhat steady) potential.

But that's not happening. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks a lot,
Fred

Welcome to the PF, Fred. What is the frequency range fjor the E-field that you would like to measure?

If DC, then if you can put some known amount of static charge on an object, you could devise a way to measure the force F=qE to give you the E field info. If AC, you can use some capacitive pickup techniques...

What forms of E-field measurement have you found by searching the web or in books?

There is no reason that such an arrangement would give you a reading on an oscilloscope.

Why do you think it would?

It is very similar to a demonstration device used to show repulsion of electrostatic charges.
You touch both balls with a charged rod (possibly ebonite or plastic that has been rubbed with cat's fur). They both acquire the same charge if they are touching and then tend to repel each other by flying apart. Gold leaf and moving vane electroscopes work on the same principle.

But, they do not generate any voltage themselves just by being in an electric field.

1. What is Fred's Simple E-field Sensor?

Fred's Simple E-field Sensor is a device designed to measure electric fields in its surrounding environment. It is a small, portable sensor that can be easily used by anyone, even those without a background in science or engineering.

2. How does Fred's Simple E-field Sensor work?

The sensor works by detecting changes in electric fields and converting them into measurable signals. It uses a simple circuit to amplify and measure these signals, providing accurate readings of the electric field strength.

3. What are the applications of Fred's Simple E-field Sensor?

Fred's Simple E-field Sensor can be used in various applications, such as measuring electromagnetic radiation levels, detecting potential hazards from power lines or electrical equipment, and even in environmental monitoring for understanding the effects of human-generated electric fields on wildlife.

4. Is Fred's Simple E-field Sensor accurate?

Yes, the sensor has been tested and calibrated to provide accurate readings of electric field strength. However, it is important to note that the accuracy may vary depending on the environment and other factors.

5. Can the sensor be used for research purposes?

Yes, Fred's Simple E-field Sensor can be used for research purposes, especially in fields related to electric fields and their effects on living organisms. However, it is recommended to consult with a professional researcher or scientist for more in-depth studies.