1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E Field stationary observer.

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    I have a problem that I can not understand what I am doing wrong.

A rocket moves at 1.0*18^6 m/s. Inside is an E Field (coming out of the page of the book) that is 2.0*10^6 V/m. There is also a B Field in the rocket pointing up that is -1.0 T. What is the E Field observed by someone on Earth. (The rocket is sooming past Earth.)

I used E = E - V X B

= E - V*B (V and B are perpindicular)

= sqrt((1.0*10^6)^2 + (2.0*10^6)^2)

However this does not yield the correct answer. Any help is appreciated.
    If anyone is working the numbers I got 2.24*10^6.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2
    a hint,

the v in the Lorentzformula that you used, does not correspond to the velocity of the rocket. This v is the velocity of the charge that moves in the E/B field. Also, the given rocket velocity is with respect to the earth, right ?

Also,

The magnitude of the E and B field are given with respect to what base exactly ? You need to know this if you wanna (which you are gonna) apply the Lorentz transformations.

What is the orbit of the rocket with respect to the earth ?

You see, there are some aspects missing in your question.

marlon

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  4. Apr 27, 2006 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am surprised by tge use of a tagline to give publicity to a movie, especially for a movie treating extreme violence as entertainment. I find this disturbing on a science site.

But I realize that my opinion is not important.

Patrick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?