What is the electric potential midway between the two charges?

In summary, the question is asking about the electric potential and E field between two equal positive charges (q=+2.0 µC) that are 3.0 cm apart. The equation used to solve this is kq/r=E, with q= 2X10^-6 and r=1.5x10^-2. The 2 before K comes from the fact that there are two charges involved, and r is half of the distance between the two charges.
sasuke07

Homework Statement

Consider two equal positive charges (q=+2.0 µC) a distance of 3.0 cm apart. What is the electric potential midway between the two charges? What is the E field at this point?

I got the work and everything all solved out, i just don't know where some of the numbers came from. Where does the 2 before K come from, I understant the q= 2X10^-6, but why is r 1.5x10^-2? I am just wondering where some of the numbers came from.

Homework Equations

kq/r=E

The Attempt at a Solution

look at attachment

Attachments

• 04.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 226
Physics news on Phys.org
hi sasuke07! :smile:
sasuke07 said:
Where does the 2 before K come from, I understant the q= 2X10^-6, but why is r 1.5x10^-2? I am just wondering where some of the numbers came from.

that equation is kqL/rL + kqL/rL = 2kq/r …

they're defining qR = qL = q and rR = rL = r :wink:

(and r is half of 3.0 cm)

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electrical energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy at a point in an electric field, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the force on a charge in that field.

3. What does it mean for the electric potential to be midway between two charges?

When we say the electric potential is midway between two charges, it means that the distance from the point to each charge is equal, resulting in an equal amount of electric potential from each charge.

4. How is the electric potential calculated midway between two charges?

The electric potential at a point midway between two charges is calculated by taking the average of the electric potential at each charge individually. This can be done using the formula V = (kQ1/r1 + kQ2/r2)/2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances from the charges to the point.

5. Why is it important to understand the electric potential midway between two charges?

Understanding the electric potential midway between two charges can help us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they affect charges in a given space. It is also important in the study of electromagnetism and can be used to solve various practical problems in engineering and physics.