1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-Fields Question

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two charges, charge one is +Q and charge two +2Q, are fixed in a plane along the y axis of an x-y coordinate plane. Charge one is at point (0,a) and Charge two is at the point (0,2a).
    (a) Is there any portion of the y-axis in which the total electric field is zero? If so, where?
    (b) If a small negative charge, -q, of mass m were placed at the origin, determine its initial acceleration (magnitude and direction).

2. Relevant equations

E1=E2
    F=ma
    E=F/q
    E=1/4pi(epsilon not)xQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

For (a), there will always be an e-field along the y-axis except for a point in between the two charges. I am having trouble finding that point, though. I set the two e-fields equal to each other, but was unsure of what to put as the radius for each.

For (b) I used F=ma and then plugged in F=Eq to get a=Eq/m. My final answer was (-1/4pi(epsilon not)x(Q/a^2+Q/2a^2)xq)/m.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted