1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E = hf for electron. Why?

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    I came across a problem my teacher assigned. We are asked to calculate frequency of electron having certain energy. My teacher used E = hf to solve the problem. I thought that could only be applied to photon. Is it because electron has wave-like nature and has quantized energy?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2
    Okay . You need to clear your fundamentals from your teacher.
    E=hf. does not give the energy of electron. It gives the enegy required / released when electrons change their energy levels. And this enegy may be radiated in the form of photons or by heat or any other form.

I recommend you to go through Bohr's postulates regarding Atomic model.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    The question is given like this:
    electron has 511keV and kinetic energy of 100 MeV and determines its frequency.
    the answer is 2.43*10^22 Hz, which can be determined through f = E/h.

I just wonder how can my teacher use the equation like that for such straightforward question.

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    It's the frequency corresponding to the electron's De Broglie wavelenght. E = 100.511 MeV, f = E/h.

6. Oct 13, 2012 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is a quantum-mechanical frequency, and the connection between energy and frequency is the same for all particles.

7. Oct 13, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

E=hf is fine for describing the energy associated with a photon but I am not familiar with assigning frequency to energy for a particle. There is a relationship between wavelength (de Broglie) and momentum for particles (P=h/λ) but where does a constant relationship between Energy and Frequency for particles come in? Where would that leave the equation for waves 'c=fλ' for instance?
    What am I missing here?

8. Oct 13, 2012 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This comes from relativistic wave equations - but even in the "classic" case, an electron with 100 MeV kinetic energy has E≈pc=hc/λ=hcf/v≈hf.

9. Oct 13, 2012 #8
    We can connect E = hf for an electron to the Schrödinger equation for matter waves by examining the time dependency of a stationary state.

[itex]| \Psi (t)> = e^{-iE_{n}t/\hbar}| n>[/itex]

Where |n> represents a stationary (stable) state at time zero, and En represents the energy of that state. Now, if we substitute into the above equation the following:

[itex]E_{n} = hf = \hbar \omega = \hbar 2\pi f[/itex]

Then, we'd get

[itex]| \Psi (t)> = e^{-i2\pi ft}| n >[/itex]

Notice that the exponential multiplying the stationary state has a frequency of magnitude [itex]f[/itex]. So the phase of a stationary state of a matter wave (from Schrödinger's equation) cycles at a frequency given by the energy of the state and the equation E = hf.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook