Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E=hf question about mass

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    Ok so the equation E= hf about the energy of a photon, I'm having a problem understanding energies to do with photons.
    Since, E=hf
    ∴ 1/2mv2=hf. But if m=0 how can a photon have energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

hf is NOT the "kinetic energy" of photons. So you cannot equate things that are different.

Read this FAQ Thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511175 [Broken]

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Apr 22, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

(1/2)mv^2 doesn't work for energy in relativity. The general relationship between energy, mass and momentum in relativity is

##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2##

where m is the invariant mass which is sometimes called "rest mass." For photons, m = 0 so E = pc, that is, they can have both energy and momentum even though they don't have ("rest") mass.

5. Apr 22, 2013 #4
    But if p=mv then are we not back at the same problem, sorry for my ignorance I just wish to understand it.

6. Apr 22, 2013 #5
    The point is that ##p=mv## does not hold for a massless object. If it would, then ##v=\infty## and we have nonsense. I recommend Giancoli's 6th Edition of Physics for a deeper understanding of Photons.

7. Apr 22, 2013 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Callum, p=mv is valid in Newtonian physics only (in the form [itex] \displaystyle{\vec{p}=m\vec{v}} [/itex]). You may have seen p=mv with m the so-called <relativistic mass> which is a highly useless and missleading notion, now abandoned even in introductory texts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook