1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E in Calculus

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1

madmike159

Gold Member

What if the proof for differentiating and integrating e^x.

For d/dx (e^x) i used the chin rule and did
    u = x
    y = e^u
    dy/du = ue^u-1
    du/dx = 1
    dy/du*du/dx = ue^u-1
    so you get xe^x-1 but thats not right. I don't even know where to start with intergration.

Can any one show me? Thanks:biggrin:

(also where are all the symbols have gone? I Don't know how to put them in anymore.)

*edit* Sorry I didn't realise this wasn't home work help section. Can a moderator move it there please.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you have dy/du=ue^(u-1)?

4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    well, there are different ways as how the derivative of e^x is defined. We usually start by the def. of the derivative.

let [tex]f(x)=a^x[/tex], be any exponential function, so

[tex](a^x)'=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^{x+h}-a^x}{h}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^x(a^h-1)}{h}=a^x\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^h-1}{h}[/tex]

Now, notice that [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^h-1}{h}=f'(0)[/tex] , right? In other words, this is the derivative of the exponential function at the point x=0.

SO, it looks like the derivative of any exponential function at any point, say c, [tex]f(x)=a^x[/tex] is simply a constant multiple of its value at that particular point. IN other words, the derivative of any exponential function, and the value of the function at a certian point x are proportional.

Now, it is convinient for us to find an exponential function such that the derivative of that function at x=0 is 1. f'(0)=1.

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^h-1}{h}[/tex] let [tex]a^h-1=t=>a^h=t+1[/tex] also

[tex] h=log_a=log_a(t+1)[/tex] notice that when h-->0, t-->0, so;

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^h-1}{h}=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{t}{log_a(t+1)}=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{log_a(t+1)^{\frac{1}{t}}}=\frac{1}{log_ae}=lna[/tex]

Now as we can see, in order for f'(0)=1, a=e, so [tex](e^x)'=e^x[/tex]

5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

madmike159

Gold Member

because u is a value. the power is decreased by one.

Thanks for the help.

6. Sep 28, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\frac{d}{du} u^e =eu^{e-1}[/tex]

Not

[tex]\frac{d}{du} e^u=ue^{u-1}[/tex]

To find the derivative of e^x, you will need to use the definition of derivative in terms of limits.

7. Sep 28, 2008 #6
    The power rule of differentiating does not apply here, since your power here is not a number, but rather a function/variable.
    Like i said in my above post. In my previous post, i explained how why the derivative of exp. functions is what it is.

other ways of doing it, which come indirectly from the def. of derivatives, is

let [tex]f(x)=a^x[/tex] then let [tex] a^x=y=>lny=xlna[/tex] now let's differentiate implicitly:

[tex] \frac{y'}{y}=lna=>y'=ylna=>y'=(a^x)'=a^xlna[/tex] in your case you have [tex] f(x)=e^x[/tex] so all you need to do is replace a by e. and youll get what u need.!

8. Sep 28, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "u is a value"! Every symbol or expression in mathematics is a value! The question is whether or not u is a variable or a constant. Since you let u= x and x is a variable, so is x.

The derivative of xa, where a is a constant, with respect to x, is a xa-1 but the derivative of ax is ln(a) ax and in the special case that a= 2, ln(e)= 1, that becomes d(ex)/dx= ex.

9. Sep 29, 2008 #8

madmike159

Gold Member

Well my working was wrong. I just made u = x (like in the chain rule, e^2x-1 u = 2x-1) and I took 1 off it because when you differentiate the power decreases by 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?