1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-induced lines

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    In electrostatics, × E = 0 so E that is a conservative field and there must be sources of E from which E flows. We know that this sources are the electrical charges given by Gauss' Law.

But when B changes in time, × E = - ∂ B / ∂t. Now the Gauss' Law no longer applies and if there are not net charges anywhere, there are no sources of E, so ∇ ⋅ E = 0.

So how are the lines of an induced E? Are they like B lines in magnetostatics? They just "turn" around something and they don't have any start or end?
    And if they are, since Lenz's Law says that ε = - ∂φ / ∂t, are the lines of this E induced exactly the opposite of the B that induces it?

Please let me know if i'm not making my self clear, my english is not that good.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Yes, without charges, but with changing magnetic field, the electric field lines have neither start nor end. But Lenz's Law states that the electromotive force ε is exactly opposite to the change of B that induces it. The time-dependent B is related to the curl of the electric field: curl E = -∂B / ∂t, or in integral form: ## \oint Eds = -\partial φ / \partial t ## (the line integral of the tangential component along a closed curve is equal to the negative of the flux across the enclosed area).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted