1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E.M , capacity of a conductor?

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    Hello guys, well its that time of the week when Im busy working on my homework again!
    One of this weeks questions is that there are 2 hollow concentric conducting spheres which hold charges Q1 (inner shell, radius R1), and Q2 (outer shell, Radius R2 )

1) Find the potential difference between them. I think this is (Q2-Q1)/4*Pi*E0*r ?

2)If q1 is +ive, and a wire connection is made from inner to outer conductor, charge will flow. How does direction of flow depend upon the magnitude and sign of Q2?

I think charge will flow from higher to lower potential, ie if Q2 is a smaller +ive charge, charge will flow from q1 to q2.
    Is negative charge a lower potential than a positive, I guess?

But this next part really gets me: What is the capacity of the above pair of conductors? (Answer 4*Pi*E0*R1R2/(R2-R1) )

What on earth does "capacity" mean, we havent come across that term before! I would appreciate a poke in the right direction for this! There is another part but I havent tried that yet so I wont post here.

Any help and hints (but no solutions please it is assesed) are most appreciated :-)

Thank you

~Gareth

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Error: r not defined.

What is the potential at the surface of shell 1? Of shell 2?

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    Hi :-)
    Oh I see, r should actually be R2-R1 in the equation I posted for the potential difference?

Thanks,

Gareth

5. Feb 9, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.
    ----------------------

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?