Calculating Potential Difference for Moving Wire in Earth's Magnetic Field

• Thread starter justagirl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving the motion of a wire through a magnetic field. The problem is worded strangely and seems to be missing some information. The potential difference between the ends of the wire and which end is positive cannot be calculated without further data. The conversation also discusses the concept of motional emf and the right hand rule for determining the direction of the magnetic force. However, the conversation ultimately concludes that without a specific value for the magnetic field, the problem cannot be solved.
justagirl
Hi, I was wondering if you can help me with the following question. I am totally stuck. I'm not sure I even understand the question. Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated!

This is the problem:
Over a region where the vertical component of the Earth's magnetic field is held in an east-west direction and moved horizontally to the north with a speed of 10m/s. Calculate the potential difference between the ends of the wire, and determine which end is positive.

End Problem.

I copied the above question verbatim, and I'm still trying to figure out what it means as it is worded strangely. I assume they're saying that the Earth's magnetic field is directed east-west and the wire is moving north at 10 m/s, perpendicular to the field.

I think this has something to do with motional emf, and the equation V = Blv plays some role. However, B and l are not given so I don't know. And the right hand rule probably has something to do with figuring out which end is positive.

That's all I can deduce. What do you think? Thank you so much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about a single positive charge in the wire. Since the wire is moving, you can attribute its velocity to the charges in it. So this positive charge has a velocity, and it's inside a magnetic field. You should know that in this situation a magnetic force acts on the charge [itex]F_m = q\vec v \times \vec B = qvB\sin \alpha[/itex]. But we don't care about the strength of the force here, we are more concerned with its direction. This page describes an easy method to find the direction of the force:
http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/MagneticField/RightHandRule.html

So if know the direction of the magnetic force, you know where the positive charge "goes" as the wire moves through the magnetic field. Similarly, the negative charges will go to the other end of the wire since the force on them is on the opposite direction.

I probably explained things you had already known, but I'm not sure on what level you are so I explained them anyway. The potential difference cannot be calculated without further data.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my opinion that some words are missing from this question. I believe it is supposed to say:

Over a region where the vertical component of the Earth's magnetic field is ...{some specific amount in teslas} and a wire is... held in an east-west direction and moved horizontally to the north with a speed of 10m/s. Calculate the potential difference between the ends of the wire, and determine which end is positive.

As given, there is no solution to the problem since no value for the magnetic field is provided. You could use 5 x 10^-5 T, since that is the approximate value for most of the US.

1. What is E & M?

E & M stands for electricity and magnetism. It is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with matter.

2. How are electricity and magnetism related?

Electricity and magnetism are related through the concept of electromagnetism. This is the phenomenon where an electric current produces a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field creates an electric current.

3. What are some real-world applications of E & M?

E & M has numerous real-world applications, including power generation and distribution, electric motors, generators, telecommunication systems, and medical equipment such as MRI machines.

4. What are some key principles of E & M?

Some key principles of E & M include Coulomb's Law (which describes the force between charged particles), Ampere's Law (which relates electric currents to magnetic fields), and Faraday's Law (which explains electromagnetic induction).

5. How does E & M relate to other branches of physics?

E & M is closely related to other branches of physics, such as mechanics and thermodynamics, as it helps to explain the behavior of charged particles in motion and the transfer of energy between electric and magnetic fields.