Exploring Terminal Velocity of Aluminum Loop in Magnetic Field

In summary, a square loop is placed in a uniform magnetic field and allowed to fall under gravity. The terminal velocity and velocity as a function of time are found, as well as the time it takes to reach 90% of the terminal velocity. The concept of induced current is introduced, and its calculation using the loop's dimensions and velocity is explained. A reference for further understanding is provided.
JohnDuck

Homework Statement

Verbatim from the book:
A square loop is cut out of a thick sheet of aluminum. It is then placed so that the top portion is in a uniform magnetic field B, and allowed to fall under gravity. (In the diagram, shading indicates the field region; B points into the page.) If the magnetic field is 1 Tesla, find the terminal velocity of the loop (in m/s). Find the velocity of the loop as a function of time. How long does it take (in seconds) to reach, say, 90% of the terminal velocity? What would happen if you cut a tiny slit in the ring, breaking the circuit?

I've attached a reproduction of the diagram.

Homework Equations

Lorentz force law (perhaps?):
F = q(E + B x v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stumped, not even sure where to start. It doesn't make sense to talk about terminal velocity unless there's some force resisting the motion of the loop. However, as far as I can tell, there is none. The loop will simply drop out of the field region, and subsequently only experience a force due to gravity (i.e., no terminal velocity).

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7659/diagramna2.jpg

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Consider the induced current in the loop :wink:

Sorry, could you elaborate on that? It's not clear to me how to calculate the induced current, considering the dimensions of the loop are not given.

JohnDuck said:
Sorry, could you elaborate on that? It's not clear to me how to calculate the induced current, considering the dimensions of the loop are not given.
Ahh, but you know that the loop is a square so it's area is [itex]\ell^2[/itex] where [itex]\ell[/itex] is the length of one side. Furthermore,

[tex]A = \ell^2 \Rightarrow \frac{dA}{dt} = 2\ell\cdot\frac{d\ell}{dt}[/tex]

But,

[tex]\frac{d\ell}{dt} = v[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]\frac{dA}{dt} = 2\ell\cdot v}[/tex]

Do you follow?

Edit: A decent reference: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/elevol.html#c3

Last edited:

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity pulling the object down is equal to the force of air resistance pushing the object up.

2. How is terminal velocity affected by a magnetic field?

The presence of a magnetic field can affect the motion of an object, including its terminal velocity. In this experiment, the magnetic field will exert a force on the aluminum loop, causing it to experience a change in acceleration and potentially altering its terminal velocity.

3. What is the purpose of exploring terminal velocity of an aluminum loop in a magnetic field?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand how different factors, such as a magnetic field, can affect the motion of an object. By studying the terminal velocity of the aluminum loop in a magnetic field, we can gain insight into the principles of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

4. What are the potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment has various potential applications, including in the field of aerospace engineering. Understanding the effects of a magnetic field on an object's motion can help in designing more efficient and stable aircraft and spacecraft.

5. How is the terminal velocity of the aluminum loop measured in this experiment?

The terminal velocity of the aluminum loop is measured by recording its motion using a high-speed camera and analyzing the footage. The velocity can also be calculated using equations and measurements of the loop's mass, surface area, and the strength of the magnetic field.