Help with a Physics Capacitor Problem

In summary, a parallel-plate capacitor has a capacitance of C_0 when there is air between the plates. The maximum magnitude of charge that can be placed on each plate is V=Q/C.
imationrouter03
I'm currently in a physicsw/calII class and I'm stuck on this problem, hope u can help me out.

A parallel-plate capacitor has a capacitance of C_0 when there is air between the plates. The separation between the plates is x.

a)What is the maximum magnitude of charge that can be placed on each plate if the electric field in the region between the plates is not to exceed V?

For this question a, I've tried q=(V*epsilon*A)/x but the answer did not depend on the variables: A, and epsilon_0
I've also tried q=C_0*V but the answer involved the variable x. =(

b) A dielectric with a dielectric constant of K is inserted between the plates of the capacitor, completely filling the volume between the plates. Now what is the maximum magnitude of charge on each plate if the electric field between the plates is not to exceed V?

For this question i think the dielectric wouldn't change the charge value but it would affect the capacitor by a factor of K. I don't know where to go from here.. b.c "not to exceed V" i don't understand that statement.

thank you for your time and concern.. any feedback would be appreciated :eek:)

Physics news on Phys.org
The voltage is the ratio of the charge and the capacitance. V = Q / C. Therefore, maximum charge should be independent of the distance between the plates.

When you add the dielectric to a capactior, you increase the capacitace by K times. The new capacitance would be K * C. If the voltage across has to be kept constant, and the capacitance increases, then the charge also has to increase by that value i.e. K. Therefore, you new charge value would be K times your old charge value.

- harsh

imationrouter03 said:
a)What is the maximum magnitude of charge that can be placed on each plate if the electric field in the region between the plates is not to exceed V?

For this question a, I've tried q=(V*epsilon*A)/x but the answer did not depend on the variables: A, and epsilon_0
I've also tried q=C_0*V but the answer involved the variable x. =(

Careful, if V in this problem corresponds to electric field (as opposed to electric potential), then this V does not mean the same thing as the V in the formula "q=CV". I think it's an incredibly bad idea to use V for the E field, so I won't. I'll use E.

So, if the max E field is E, then the max potential difference is V=Ex.

That should help with both parts. Give it a shot, and come back if you need to.

well I've tried : k*E*x*C but that didn't seem to work.. it said that the answer doesn't involve the variable k nor C

i don't know what to do.. i don't even think i understand the problem

feedback please

The field E between the plates is [tex] \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \sigma [/tex] in SI units, that should give you a hint

i used E=sigma/epsilon_0 and equated V=Ex with V=(sigma*x)/epsilon_0 and got the following solving for the charge

q=(V*A*epsilon)/(x)

which just happened to be my first wrong response...

The correct answer shouldn't involve variables: A, epsilon_0, k nor C.. what am i doing wrong?

feedback please

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it charges the plates, creating an electric field between them. This field stores the energy as an electrical charge. The amount of charge that a capacitor can hold is known as its capacitance.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage. Alternatively, you can use the formula C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. These formulas assume a parallel plate capacitor with a uniform electric field.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel capacitor circuit?

In a series capacitor circuit, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, creating a single path for the current to flow through. In a parallel capacitor circuit, the capacitors are connected side-by-side, creating multiple paths for the current to flow through. The total capacitance in a series circuit is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance. In a parallel circuit, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances.

4. What factors can affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be affected by several factors, including the type of dielectric material used, the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the voltage applied to the capacitor. The type of dielectric material can greatly impact the capacitance, as some materials have higher permittivity than others.

5. How can capacitors be used in real-life applications?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in various electronic devices. They are commonly used in power supplies to filter out unwanted electrical noise and in circuits to store energy for later use. Capacitors are also used in audio equipment to improve sound quality, in camera flashes to provide a high-intensity burst of light, and in electric motors to help start and run the motor efficiently.