So you should solve for the heat Q directly.

• Thread starter imationrouter03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary: Therefore, the equation to solve for the resistance of the coil is:\frac{V^2}{R}\Delta t = mc\Delta Twhere V is the voltage and R is the resistance.
imationrouter03
A coil is to be used as an immersion heater for boiling water. The coil is to operate at a voltage of 130 V and is to heat an amount of water with a volume of 251 cm^3 by 80.0 degree celsius in a time interval of 6.30 minutes.
Use 4190 J/(kg*K) for the specific heat capacity of water and 1000 kg/m^3 for the density of water.

The question is :
What must the resistance of the coil be (assumed temperature-independent)?

I have tried the following:
i solved for the m=DV=(1000kg/m^3)(2.51*10^-6m^3)=.251 kg
then i solved for Q=mcdeltaT
deltaT=80C+273=353K
Q=.251 kg(4190J/(kg*K))(353K)=371246.57J
then i divided it by 6.30 min
Q=(371246.57J/6.30min)*(1min/60s)=982.13J/s
R=V^2/P=(130^2)/(982.13)=17.207ohms

This sadly didn't work...please help me on this level 2 problem

Physics news on Phys.org
First check your calculations and units.

Essentially, the resistive heat energy (the so called "i-squared-r-t heating") heats up the water, so the equation that you need to use is:

[tex]
\frac{V^2}{R}\Delta t = mc\Delta T
[/tex]

where t and T denote variables of time and temperature respectively. You can recast this expression in the form you have used in your solution (dividing the right hand side by the time interval).

im still not getting the problem right... I've used that formulat but i ended up with my previous response which was wrong. I've double checked my units.. what can i be doing wrong?
they are asking for the resistance of the coil...

temperature difference is given

imationrouter03 said:
then i solved for Q=mcdeltaT
deltaT=80C+273=353K
It looks like you are treating the 80 degrees as a temperature and then converting it to Kelvin. No! The 80 celsius degrees is the temperature difference.

(Note that 80 C-degrees = 80 K-degrees: the Kelvin and Celsius scale use the same size degree, just a different zero point.)

What is the "E/m resistance problem"?

The "E/m resistance problem" refers to the difficulty in determining the ratio of an electron's charge (e) to its mass (m) using traditional methods of measurement.

Why is the "E/m resistance problem" important?

Understanding the ratio of an electron's charge to its mass is crucial in the study of electromagnetism and particle physics. It also has practical applications in areas such as electronics and telecommunications.

What causes the "E/m resistance problem"?

The "E/m resistance problem" is caused by the interaction between the electric and magnetic fields in traditional measurement methods. This interaction can influence the movement of electrons and make it difficult to accurately measure their charge-to-mass ratio.

How do scientists address the "E/m resistance problem"?

Scientists have developed alternative methods for measuring the charge-to-mass ratio of electrons, such as using a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the electric field. They have also refined traditional methods to minimize the effects of the electric-magnetic field interaction.

Has the "E/m resistance problem" been solved?

While there are now more accurate methods for determining the charge-to-mass ratio of electrons, the "E/m resistance problem" still presents challenges in certain situations. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology continue to improve our understanding and measurements of this fundamental physical constant.